Police: Parents from Trinity overdose on heroin in 7-month-old baby’s hospital room

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CINCINNATI, Ohio - Police say they are investigating an overdose incident that happened at Cincinnati's Children's Hospital Medical Center. They told CBS affiliate WKRC a mother died and a father had to be revived after shooting up heroin.

Investigators say Mary Ann Landers, 32 and Wesley Landers, 31, were visiting their 7-month-old child who was a patient at Children's. They said both went into the bathroom of the hospital room and injected heroin.

Wesley and Mary Ann Landers (Photo: Family Baptist Church, Trinity, AL)

Wesley and Mary Ann Landers (Photo: Family Baptist Church, Trinity, AL)

The Landers are from Trinity, Alabama.  They attended Family Baptist Church, which held a prayer service for the family last night, according to Senior Pastor Dr. Dennis Terry.

According to WKRC,  medical staff came into the hospital room and found the woman dead on the floor. Landers, the father of the child at the hospital, was locked in the bathroom. Hospital staff unlocked the door and found him unconscious. Landers was found with one heroin syringe in his arm, two on the bathroom sink and a loaded gun in his pocket. Hospital staff members were able to revive him with Narcan.

"I think it's an amazing example of how it's not the person anymore. It's not the people. It's an addiction. This was heroin," said Chief Tom Synan of the Newtown Police Department. Chief Synan heads up the Hamilton County Heroin Task Force. He said what happened at Children's Hospital points to the power of heroin addiction.

Wesley Landers

Wesley Landers

Wesley Landers is charged with drug possession, carrying a concealed weapon and having a weapon under disability - meaning he was not allowed to carry a gun due to an earlier conviction.

Landers appeared in court Friday, Jan. 8.

RELATED: North Alabama community shocked by couple's heroin overdose in infant's hospital room

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.