Improperly-discarded fireworks blamed for devastating garage fire in Colorado

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LOVELAND, Colo. — Investigators in Colorado say a fire started in a garage Saturday night due to fireworks that were improperly discarded.

When crews got to the scene they saw a 25-foot wall of fire burning the home’s garage, according to Loveland Fire Rescue Bat. chief.

The residents of the house weren’t home when the fire started.

The fireworks recovered at the home were legal.

No one was injured in the fire, but the home suffered extensive damage.

The National Council on Fireworks Safety recommends the following tips for proper disposal of fireworks:

  • Soak spent fireworks thoroughly with water
  • Place the soaked fireworks in a fireproof container with a lid
  • Store the firework trash away from buildings and flammable items for 24 hours