Helpful legal resources in Huntsville & Madison County

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Image: MGN Online

Did you miss WHNT News 19’s Legal Action Line on April 30, 2015? The phones rang non-stop and emails poured in through the night. We tried to answer as many as possible, but in case you weren’t able to get through, here are some resources that may help you get your legal questions answered.

Madison County Volunteer Lawyers Program (256) 539-2275
Garnishment/Debt issues, Consumer/Credit/Debt Collection issues, Divorce and Protection from Abuse actions, Child support modification and enforcement, Powers of Attorney, Guardianship, Conservatorship issues, Evictions, Foreclosures, Civil lawsuits/Tort Defense, Real property issues, Landlord/Tenant, Food stamp denials, SSI Terminations, Unemployment/Compensation denials, Wills and Estates, and Employment-related counsel and advice.  Must be screened for financial eligibility and be at or below 200% of poverty level.

Legal Services: 1-866-456-4995 or (256) 536-9645 or walk-in
Mortgage Foreclosure Prevention Hotline; Staff attorneys who can answer questions, Divorce w/domestic violence, no PFAs. Must be screened for financial eligibility and be at or below 200% of poverty level.

Lawyer Referral: 1-800-392-5660
$50 for initial consultation with attorney; no income requirement
Can search for attorney in specific area of expertise
Do it yourself forms (especially family law); Affidavit of Substantial Hardship; Motion to Continue; Answer

DHR – Child Support: (256) 427-6100 and Child Support Enforcement Division: (334) 242-9300
Child support issues and enforcement. Child support group meeting every Thursday at 9 a.m.

Fatherhood Program (Tony Hawkes): (256) 327-3758
Parenting education and support for non custodial parents. May help in contested custody cases.

State Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program/Alabama State Bar Association 1-800-354-6154
People outside Jefferson (Birmingham) (205) 250-5198; Mobile (Mobile) (251) 438-1102; and Madison County.

Crisis Services of North Alabama: (256) 716-1000
Domestic violence shelter information; domestic violence, sexual assault, suicide hotlines. Help filing initial PFA.

Family Services Center: (256) 551-1610
Affordable housing, homelessness prevention, job transportation, conflict resolution, financial literacy training, mental health & substance abuse counseling, and parenting support.

Madison County Circuit Court
Civil: (256) 532-3380      Criminal (256) 532-3373 [criminal court-appointed lawyers]      Family (256) 532-3424

TARCOG:  (256) 830-0818  – Top of Alabama Regional Council of Governments
Senior resource center; all seniors & over income seniors.  Additionally, the Huntsville Madison County Council on Aging has compiled this Senior Service Directory with helpful resources.

Mental Health Center:   (256) 533-1970
The mental health center has a sliding scale based on income and clients can call without being referred by a doctor. For clients who sound like they might have a mental disability.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.