FDA says dog chews put puppies, humans at Salmonella risk
(CNN) – Federal health officials said Monday that certain dog chews are being recalled over potential Salmonella contamination to pets and their owners.
The Food and Drug Administration warned that humans who touched the Nylabone Puppy Starter Kitdog chews are at risk of infection if they did not thoroughly wash their hands and clean any surfaces that may have come in contact with the product.
The recall covers one lot of the 1.69 ounce package of Puppy Starter Kit dog chews, which contain three bone-shaped chews designed for puppies that are teething. The chews, made by New Jersey-based Nylabone Products, were distributed nationwide and in Canada.
The FDA said symptoms of Salmonella in humans include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and can lead to more severe ailments in some rare cases. Pets with Salmonella may be lethargic and have diarrhea, fever and vomiting.
Officials said no health issues have been reported in connection with the recall. The company identified the presence of Salmonella in one lot during routine testing.
The FDA did not say how many products were included in the recall. But it did list the lot number and expiration date associated with the products. The chews are marked with Lot #21935, UPC 0-18214-81291-3 and an expiration date of 3/22/18 on the back of the package.
Consumers should stop using the products and return them to the store for a full refund.