Family of five escapes house fire in Athens; home destroyed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ATHENS, Ala. (WHNT) - A family of five is without a home after an overnight fire in Athens.

Crews responded to the home on the 500 block of 1st Street around 12:30 a.m.  Firefighters arrived to find flames shooting through the roof of the home.  Police blocked off several streets while crews battled the fire.

The homeowner, Andrew Hammonds, was in his bedroom when he says he heard a popping sound.  He says he could feel the fire through the wall.

He and his wife Nicole and their children got out safely, as well as their dog.

Firefighters worked for nearly an hour to get the fire under control.  Investigators say the fire was electrical and started near a microwave. The house did not have smoke detectors. The fire marshal said the family was very lucky.

Google Map for coordinates 34.798571 by -86.974722.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.