MONTGOMERY — Winter storm forecasts for north Alabama likely will result in snow‐covered or icy roads and hazardous driving conditions throughout northern Alabama. Alabama State Troopers encourage all motorists to drive with extreme caution and to avoid roadways when weather conditions are dangerous.
Troopers offer the following tips to help ensure safe winter travel:
- Avoid travel, if possible, when icy or other extremely hazardous driving
conditions develop in your area.
- Keep your vehicle in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use
windshield washer solution suitable for freezing weather conditions. Keep gas
tanks at least half full.
- Remember that weather and roadway conditions can quickly change. Adapt
speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the
possibility of icy, slippery roads.
- During inclement weather, turn on headlights and windshield wipers and
maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles.
- Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to
develop extremely hazardous “black ice.”
- Keep blankets, a first aid kit, a charged cell phone and other emergency supplies
in your vehicle.
Motorists are encouraged to monitor local news for information on weather conditions and travel advisories and to contact Trooper posts only to report traffic crashes or other emergencies. Motorists with cell phones may dial *HP (*47) toll‐free to report roadway emergencies to a Trooper post.
In addition, motorists are urged to be alert for emergency vehicles and personnel and to obey the state’s “move over” law.
For information on road closings, please visit the road conditions page of the Alabama Department of Transportation’s website, www.dot.state.al.us.