Road conditions starting to deteriorate as snow/sleet mixture moves through
TENNESSEE VALLEY (WHNT) – Please be careful on the roads today, and don’t drive if you don’t have to. Conditions are worsening as a snow/sleet mixture moves through north Alabama.
Alabama State Troopers say we are starting to experiencing hazardous driving conditions throughout north Alabama. Major and secondary roadways are experiencing some icing problems. They are encouraging motorists to drive with caution or to remain off the roadways if possible. To report traffic crashes or other emergencies to state troopers, motorists with cell phones may dial *HP (*47) toll-free.
Here are some trouble spots:
I-65 north of I-565 is completely blocked southbound. Northbound is barely moving.
- Around 1 p.m. several wrecks were reported in Colbert County, according to the EMA
- DeKalb County EMA says effective 4:30 pm, all roads and bridges in DeKalb County should be considered impassable until further notice. Members of the general public are advised that when roads and bridges become impassable all travel should be suspended or delayed. Only emergency vehicles should travel on county roads and bridges until further notice.
- The city of Fort Payne has declared all city streets impassable
- Jackson County EMA says all county roads are impassable.
- Highway 72 at County Road 137 just west of Stevenson, AL is totally blocked on westbound side due to a jackknifed tractor trailer.
- Authorities have declared county roads impassable and residents should travel at their own risk!
- Hwy 72 from Huntsville to Athens is very slick in spots starting at County Line Rd all the way to McCulley Mill Rd
- The city of Athens has asked people to stay off the roads
- Limestone County District 2 Commissioner Steve Turner said Nick Davis and Capshaw Bridges are really bad. Trees are blocking some areas and roads are very slick. “It is getting worse as we go,” Turner said. Roads and Bridges are getting VERY bad VERY quick. People only need to travel if absolutely necessary.
- Wrecks reported on U.S. 72, U.S. 31 and a wreck with injury on I-65 in Athens near Tanner
- All Athens city road closures will be listed here.
- Elevated portions of Memorial Parkway are closed
- Wrecks are reported on Highway 72, I-565, and downtown Huntsville
- Many roads are starting to ice over as a snowy mixture comes through
- Jeff Rd in the Monrovia area is icy
- Hughes Road Closed at Overpass
- Bankhead Parkway is closed, from Gaslight to Fearn
- Green Mountain is closed
- Hazardous conditions on Slaughter Road
- Whitesburg Dr at Drake Ave is impassable
- A jackknifed semi on Research Park Blvd south off University in Madison is blocking traffic
- Avoid Hughes Rd at Mill Rd and Wall Triana Hwy and Liberty Dr due to sheets of ice
- Cecil Ashburn is closed
- All municipal roads in Arab are closed
- County roads and bridges in Marshall County District 1 (Arab-Union Grove area), District 2 (Rrant area, Guntersville area), District 4 (Boaz-Asbury) are considered impassable until further notice. Members of the general public are advised that when roads and bridges become impassable all travel should be suspended or delayed. Only emergency vehicles should travel on county roads and bridges until further notice.
- Roads in District 3 – parts of Albertville, Douglas, and Nixon Chapel, are still passable at this time, however caution is advised as some are becoming very slick.
- With more freezing rain on the way motorist are advised to stay off the roads. Crews have been salting and sanding and the areas they have treated are freezing back over. Please stay off area road for your safety and that of first responders!
- The Decatur Police Department is urging everyone to avoid travel for the remainder of the night. Decatur roads are considered hazardous.
We will continue to update this story as we gather new information.