Featured Job: Tax Administration Assistant
This is technical and administrative support work in the City’s Tax Administration Division of the Finance Department.
Work involves providing a variety of support in preparing, processing and maintaining accurate tax administration records.
Work is performed in accordance with state sales tax laws, municipal ordinances relating to taxes, and City of Huntsville and finance departments policies and procedures. Assignments are received orally, in writing, or through routine procedures.
Work is reviewed for accuracy, completeness and conformance with laws and ordinances by periodic review, observation and /or results obtained. Reviews and processes tax registration and account change forms for accuracy and completeness; communicates with appropriate city departments/personnel concerning potential licensing or tax reporting issues; prepares and maintains tax files and records of a confidential or sensitive nature.
- Reviews the annual tax liability history to make a determination of possible filing frequency adjustments; communicates with taxpayer concerning frequency adjustments, updates accounts and maintains supporting documentation.
- Verifies that tax returns received corresponds with tax account setup information, including but not limited to: legal business name, contact information, mailing address, tax type and tax reporting period.
- Assists with administrative functions; researches data; gathers documents, information and forms; monitors accounts for compliance with state and local tax filing requirements; communicates with taxpayers to resolve routine tax compliance issues.
- Screens and forwards telephone calls; greets visitors; records and relays messages and appointments as necessary; distributes information; resolves problems with departments and taxpayers.
- Composes and distributes recurring and non-recurring correspondence such as reports, notices, letters, memos, and other related materials.
- Communicates with the public, other city departments, delivery carriers, professionals, and others to give and receive information.
- Requires regular and prompt attendance plus the ability to work well with others and work well as a team.
- Performs related work as required.
Work is primarily performed in an office setting, working with people who are often irate. Work is essentially sedentary. Computer work requires manual dexterity.
Click here for more information or to apply for this job.