What you need to know about getting Alabama’s new STAR I.D.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - The December 1, 2014 deadline to get the state's new STAR I.D. is pushed back to 2016. But, you can still go ahead and check it off your to-do list.

The  Alabama Department of Public Safety implemented the STAR I.D. program to comply with the federal REAL-ID Act of 2005. The legislation modified U.S. federal laws pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedure in an effort to increase national security.

Once the Department of Homeland Security begins enforcing the law in 2016, anybody who plans to board a commercial flight or enter a federal building must have a valid, unexpired U.S. passport or a STAR I.D.

You can get yours at the Alabama Department of Public Safety State Troopers' office at 1115-A Church St. in Huntsville.It's not as easy as just showing up, you'll have to bring a few things with you.  You can only get the STAR I.D. at the Troopers' offices. You cannot get the STAR I.D. at a courthouse or drivers license satellite office.

See all the office locations by county.  You can visit another county; it doesn't have to be the county you live in.

In order to be issued a STAR I.D., you must verify your identity and date of birth by providing one of the following:

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • Certified birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545)
  • Valid, unexpired permanent resident card (Form I-551) issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)
  • Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) issued by DHS (Form I-766 or Form I-688B)
  • Unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa affixed, accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant's most recent admittance to the United States
  • Certificate of naturalization issued by DHS (form N-550 or N-561)
  • Certificate of citizenship issued by DHS (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • A REAL-ID compliant driver license or non-driver identification card

If the applicant's name is different than the document provided (marriage, adoption, court order, etc.), official documents verifying the change are required. 

Applicants will also need to verify their Social Security Numbers by providing one of these documents:

  • Social Security card
  • A certified letter (on letterhead) from the Social Security Administration stating the person's name and SSN
  • United States Military I.D.
  • United States Military Form DD 214
  • Medicare/Medicaid I.D. (if SSN is followed by the letter 'A')
  • W-2 Tax form

Lastly, you will need to bring two of the following:

  • Voter registration card
  • Residential mortgage contract
  • Current lease or rental agreement
  • Proof of payment of residential property tax
  • Previous year's tax returns bearing applicants address
  • Vehicle registration with applicant's name and address
  • Utility bill (water, gas or electric) less than 90 days old
  • Any state or federal court documents indicating residence address
  • School enrollment documentation
  • Defense Department Form 214 (Report of Separation)
  • Sex offender registration documents
  • Current homeowners insurance policy with name and address
  • Social Security benefits statements/summary mailed to physical address
  • U.S. or state government check or other document mailed to applicants physical address
  • Military orders documenting duty station and place of residence


The cost of a STAR I.D. is $23.50, the same as an Alabama driver's license. It will replace your driver's license and must be renewed every four years.

Here is more information on dps.alabama.gov.


  • Skillpot

    BUT, but, why not begin to offer some remedy to all the nonsense needed to prove that I am who I am? Seems your efforts should be put forward to get the Governor, State Legislature, our Congressional Team, and others to move out on this? I have gone to Sessions, Mo Brooks, Mike Ball, and Clay Scofield, but was unable to get them to move out on any action.

  • Tim

    This is stupid…. Why should americans have to bend over backwards to prove who they are , while the feds let illegals flood the country at will….. Time for politicians to prove they are worthy enough to continue being in office !!!!

    • Terry

      What is even more stupid is once you go through this circus act, it will not be accepted as a proof of residence alone. You will still need a utility bill, etc to prove residency if needed at the tag registration office.

    • Claire Aiello

      No. The only place to get the STAR I.D. is the state trooper office in your county. In Madison County, that’s at 1115-A Church Street in Huntsville. It can take a while from what we understand.

    • Claire Aiello

      It will serve as your driver’s license, yes. I don’t believe it will serve as your passport. The STAR ID is to meet a U.S. Department of Homeland Security requirement. Passport is recognized by other countries.

      • Kristy Lewis

        Would we need this to travel from state to state by jet plane or if we travel out of the United States. Why do we need this star for anyways.

  • Country Boy

    Jump through hoops sheeple and don’t forget your checkbook too! What a wonderful way to preserve our freedoms and make everyone even more frustrated and annoyed and angry. It’s not the “outsiders” I fear anymore, it’s everyone who is eligible for a STAR ID! Besides, doesn’t seem like too much of a concern if they can push it back 2 years…lol

  • David Etzkorn

    Last I heard, the troopers office on Church street was wretchedly understaffed with waits of hours. Given that there is no current requirement for the Star ID, shouldn’t we be advising people to wait?

  • mike

    if you have ever had to do business at the Church st. office you know the wait times are terrible and most people cannot spend the whole day there.

  • John Holmes

    Lets not forget that these DMV offices are the same offices that gave driver’s licenses to the Sept 11th hijackers that flew planes into the World Trade Centers, Pentagon, & PA. Yeah this BS is going to make us much safer (sigh). Bunch of GIMPS

  • Harley

    Your information is not completely accurate. The information applies to the general public, but federal employees that are issued a federal combined access card, called a CAC, will still be able to fly using this ID according to the TSA. Active duty military and retired military will also still be able to to travel with their federal issued military ID. If you wish, you can confirm this with the TSA as we did. Thank You.

    • Lotus

      Federal employees are not allowed to show their CAC to anyone outside their workplace or other federal buildings we have an official need to access. It is required to gain access to the Arsenal without going through the visitors center so we can get to work. We’re not allowed to show it to get on a flight, a hotel room, rent a car, or use it for any form of ID except at work… even if we’re TDY.

  • HoraceWimp

    At least the Fascists in Nazi Germany only made the Jews wear a star – we’ve got Fascists on steroids running this country, (R) or (D) matters not, most all of them are Fascists who want to control our lives.

  • plowboysghost

    We are now raising a generation of Americans who never have and never will breathe a breath of free air unencumbered by grossly excessive government regulation, restriction, and limitation…….all for the sake of generating $$MONEY$$ and exerting control over We the People. Maybe we should give secession another shot.

  • KB

    Unfortunately, we have to deal with terrorism. It is a safety precaution. They really check you out. When you go to get your passport, you have to have the same information. Although I didn’t like the idea of my birth certificate being mailed back to me, I’m glad I have my passport. Proves I’m legit!The STAR I.D. is just a smaller version.

    • plowboysghost

      “Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves”-William Pitt
      “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”
      Benjamin Franklin.

      The only “terror” we immediately face is that employed by our own government in it’s quest for obedience, revenue, and power. What happened to loving Liberty? Freedom too scary? How malleable the once free people are when they are scared.

  • plowboysghost

    I for one would like to see a war on radical Islam and the REAL perpetrators of “terrorism” instead of a war on the Constitution and Liberty of Americans under the guise of combating “terrorism” such as we have seen.

  • DBD

    I am semi new here and do not own a TV. I saw this on FB and I don’t know what a Star ID is. Is there any place on the web that I can get more information about this? I just got my Alabama License a few months ago and no one at the Highway Patrol told me anything about this. ///
    I also travel a few months here, another state and a few back home. Does this Star ID effect my car registration or travel between states?

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.