Fire displaces Limestone County family

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LIMESTONE COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) - A Limestone County family is homeless after a fire raced through their mobile home. Firefighters told the young couple an electrical problem apparently started it.

Lisa Keeton says she never slept in her trailer's bedroom. She says she usually slept in the living room.

"Because I was scared it was going to catch on fire and my kids was back yonder," Keeton told WHNT News 19, referring to the bedroom at the opposite end of the trailer from hers. She told us there were a lot of electrical issues with the trailer.

"You could walk through the kitchen and the lights would go out. When one light would go out, I would change the bulb and as soon as I changed the bulb another one in the trailer somewhere would go out at the same time," Keeton explained.

It's not the first time we've been to this address. Last year, the trailer that sat in front of hers caught fire and burned. Lisa says its only been a few weeks since the remnants of that trailer were hauled away. And there used to be a trailer on the other side of her. It burned, also. Lisa says she had wanted out before tragedy struck her home.

"What didn't burn, the heat melted all my TV's and the smoke damage, nothing in there that can be saved," Keeton said.

Keeton says she and her children are alive, and for that she's grateful. As for what the future holds for the family, no one knows.

Ms. Keeton says firefighters told her the cause of the blaze does not appear to be suspicious, and appears to have started near the circuit breaker box.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.