Athens Family Suffers Loss of Home & Pet Due to Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ATHENS, Ala. (WHNT) - It's a heart-breaking morning for one Limestone County Family.

They are dealing with the loss of their home to an overnight fire.

The call came in just after 11 last night.

Athens firefighters responded to the 500 block of Beaty Street just after 11:00 p.m. Sunday.

Firefighters arrived to find flames coming from the front of the home.

The fire also gutted the inside of the home.

The homeowners say they lost power after the April 28th storms and have been using candles for light.

They believe their dog may have knocked a candle over starting the fire.

No people were hurt in the fire.

Unfortunately, the family’s dog did not survive.