HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - Do you have silver fillings in your mouth? There's growing concern the mercury could be toxic and cause a number of health problems.
Rita Aaron had eight silver fillings in her mouth by the time she was 17. After almost 40 years in her mouth, she started to notice some strange symptoms.
"I was having pain in my hips and pain in my legs," said Aaron.
The pain was so intense, she couldn't sleep.
"I would toss and turn for hours before eventually just falling asleep," said Aaron.
She turned to the medical community for an answer.
"I went to the doctor, I went to my chiropractor, both said 'you're just getting older or you have bursitis in your hips or whatever' and I was just like, no I don't. There's something wrong," said Aaron.
A recent demonstration on the Dr. Oz show demonstrated what can happen when you brush teeth with dental amalgams. The demonstration measured mercury vapor.
So was it the mercury causing Rita's pain? And is it to blame for a number of health issues from migraines to autoimmune disorders?
We investigate all that in our special report Tuesday, May 14 on WHNT News 19 at 10:00 p.m.