WATCH LIVE: Tornado Warning until 8:30 p.m. for Cullman County

Judge Denies Bond For Suspect In Chicamauga Trail Murders

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - A Huntsville man accused of killing his wife and young son appeared in court Wednesday for his preliminary hearing.

Madison County District Judge Schuyler H. Richardson heard testimony about evidence in Stephen Marc Stone's case.  Stone is charged with capital murder in the deaths of his wife, Krista Stone, and son, Zachary Stone.  The two were found dead in the family's home on Chicamauga Trail on Sunday, February 24.

Judge Richardson determined there was enough evidence in the case to bind it over to a grand jury, who will determine if Stone stands trial.

The judge also denied bond for the suspect.


Homicide investigator Michael Leftwich testified about the case.  He said Stone walked in to the Leeds Police Department that morning, February 24, and said he killed his wife and son.

Leeds Police then called Huntsville Police around 10:20 a.m. to do a welfare check on the home.  Three Huntsville Police officers found bodies in a bedroom, Leftwich testified.

He said two Huntsville Police officers went to Leeds to pick up Stone.

Leftwich testified police found Krista Stone face up in a bed.  She had blood on her mouth.  The son, Zachary, was on the left side of the bed with his hands under his head.  He was wet.

Leftwich said an autopsy showed Krista Stone died from strangulation.  Zachary's autopsy revealed he died from strangulation and drowning.

Leftwich said Stephen Stone confessed to Huntsville Police "he was confused and something broke."  Stone confessed he choked Krista and she said 'Jesus'.  Stone said he covered Zachary's face.  He choked Zack, but didn't want to leave Zack choking so he drowned him in a bathtub.

Leftwich testified Stone took Krista to a bedroom and then returned to get Zack and take him to the bedroom.  Stone then took a nap.

The family's two daughters, ages 2 and 4, woke him up.  He got dressed, got the girls dressed and drove them to Leeds.

He went to Walmart near Leeds around 9 a.m. Sunday to buy clothes, Leftwich said.  He then went to his parents' home.  Stone went to Leeds Police after that.

In court, Stone's lawyers asked for permission to visit the crime scene.  The judge granted the request.  Brian Clark and Lonzo Robinson are representing Stone in the case.

If Stone is indicted and stands trial, Madison County District Attorney Rob Broussard said his office plans to pursue the death penalty.