Madison Couple Escapes Boston Marathon Bombing By Minutes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOSTON, Mass. (WHNT) - One of the more compelling local eyewitness accounts from Monday's Boston Marathon bombing comes from a Madison couple who only later learned how close to danger they had come.

Parker Smith told WHNT News 19 that if his wife Amy would have run just a few minutes slower, he may not be around anymore. That's because Mr. Smith unknowingly stood right at one of the two explosion sites on Boylston Street for roughly three hours, only leaving after his wife ran by approximately 20 minutes before the bombs detonated.

The couple ended up at a family meeting area two blocks away from the impact zone when the bombs went off. Amy Smith described how the joy and triumph of completing her first Boston Marathon quickly morphed into unforgettable moments of terror for her and her husband.

"I saw the first explosion and heard it," said Mrs. Smith. "I saw the white smoke...The first blast I didn't think anything other than 'That's odd', but the second one coming that close, that's when everyone started scrambling, including me."

Parker Smith said he credits divine intervention for saving him and his wife from the terrorist attack, which had killed three people and injured well over 100 more as of late Monday night.

"Where I had been taking photographs for almost three hours, that is exactly where the second blast occurred," said Mr. Smith. "Now that several hours have gone by, it's definitely become a very surreal moment... I had a feeling it was something bad. We started seeing the police and sirens running toward the finish line, and at that point I knew something had gone wrong. There were people around us that were panicking."

The couple said their hotel remained on lockdown Monday night, with FBI agents and local police scouring the streets below their high-rise room. They have three children, and are scheduled to travel back to Madison on Tuesday.