Attorney Who Quit Bishop Case Talks

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala.(WHNT)-The attorney who represented convicted killer Amy Bishop is speaking out about why he cut ties with his notorious client this week.

Long-time defense attorney Roy Miller told WHNT News 19 that he had no choice but to part ways with Bishop after she filed an appeal to have her conviction thrown out. Miller said the former UAHuntsville professor may try to accuse him and his partners of poor job performance in an effort to have a new trial.

Miller, Barry Abston and Robert Tuten all resigned from the case Tuesday. All three lawyers helped defend Bishop during her capital murder trial in September. Bishop pleaded guilty to the charge, and was subsequently convicted in a brief trial as required by Alabama law. Miller said Bishop's latest request goes directly against the plea agreement she signed since it includes a provision that waives her right to appeal. She's currently serving a life sentence without parole at Tutwiler Prison for Women.

"I suspect some other inmates have talked her into this," said Miller, who visited Bishop in prison last week. "When I went down there and talked to her, she had indicated she felt that she might be able to get a life sentence with the possibility of parole...The judge allowed us to withdraw because from here on it becomes an adversary proceeding against us."

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals in Montgomery has the final say on Bishop's appeal, but Madison County District Attorney Rob Broussard told WHNT News 19 earlier this week that it will likely fail due to the agreement already in place.

Miller said he was relieved to be through with the case.

"Yes, yes, yes, I'm glad I no longer represent her [Bishop]', said Miller. "As far as I'm concerned, it's over. It's been real rough."

Bishop was convicted of fatally shooting three of her colleagues during a faculty meeting at UAHuntsville in February 2010. Three other people were seriously injured in the attack.