Electric Shock A Danger To Swimmers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - Two children died after being shocked by electricity while swimming in lakes in Tennessee and Missouri this Fourth of July, prompting warnings from experts about the widespread danger to anyone in the water.

At Guntersville Marina, owner Buddy Alred says that danger is taken very seriously. In the past year he has had the entire electrical wiring system on their floating dock replaced, but due to the huge cost associated with repairs some marinas across the county have not updated their electrical wiring systems.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.