Alabama Legislature Meeting In Special Session
The Alabama Legislature is meeting in a special session called by Governor Robert Bentley.
The session began at 9 a.m.
The Legislature approved both the General Fund and education budgets on Wednesday, the last day of the regular session. In the special session, they will focus on:
- Redistricting — a required process based on updated U.S. Census data
- Legislation addressing constitutional amendments dealing with the state’s debt limit and unemployment
- Disposition of funds – Governor Bentley says this will provide a source of “growth revenue” for the General Fund budget
- Tobacco settlement funds – a yearly appropriation from a settlement with cigarette manufacturers that has not been done this year
- Immigration law revisions – Governor Bentley wants to further clarify the controversial law