Lightning Safety

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The average bolt of lightning generates enough electricity to power a 100-watt light bulb. If that hits you it can cause heart or breathing trouble, permanent injury, or even death.

Thursday night's thunderstorm lit up the sky. While the light show may have been impressive, it was very dangerous.

In Morgan County both a home and some woods burst into flames after being struck by lighting. At least one person in the county was hit.

To stay safe from the sky's electric fury, all you have to do is stay inside. Lightning will find the fasting way to the ground, so if you're outside during a storm it could target you. If you're in a car, the steel frame will keep you relatively safe if struck by lightning.

Use caution indoors as well. If lightning strikes it can travel through your electrical wires or pipes, electrocuting you if you're in the shower or using an appliance.

A common myth is that someone who is electrocuted continues to carry an electrical charge. That is not true, and if someone is electrocuted attend to them immediately.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.