UPDATE: Tennessee suspected kidnapper and kidnapped teen each charged with homicide

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DAYTON, Tenn. – The Metro Nashville Police Department reports they have the man suspected of killing a gas station clerk and kidnapping a 15-year-old girl in custody.

They also report Trinity Quinn was with Clark and is also in custody.

The Tennessee bureau of Investigation had issued an AMBER alert for 15-year-old Trinity Faith Quinn this morning.



According to a release from Metro Nashville Police, detectives charged Clark, 28, and Quinn, 15, with criminal homicide, especially aggravated robbery, and attempted auto theft in connection with the shooting death of Exxon market clerk, John Stevens.

Clark and Quinn, of Dayton, Tennessee, were taken into custody at 10:15 AM Wednesday behind a tree line near the intersection of Old Hickory Boulevard and Charlotte Pike. Investigators say a dump truck driver saw Quinn beside the road and called police.

Police say the two were compliant.

The release continues:

“After interviews with the two, detectives believe they entered the Exxon market to force Stevens to give up his car keys so the two could flee the area.  Surveillance video shows Clark confront Stevens at gunpoint as Quinn stands nearby inside the front door.  When Clark pointed the gun at Stevens’ head at close range, Stevens grabbed at Clark’s gun hand.  Clark stepped back and fired multiple rounds into Stevens’ body.  Clark then went behind the counter and searched the clerk’s pockets.  He took Stevens’ keys.  Clark and Quinn went to a parked SUV at the side of the building and attempted to enter it.  It was not Stevens’ vehicle so the door key would not work.  Clark fired shots breaking the SUV’s window.  The two attempted to steal the vehicle, but did not have an ignition key that worked.  They then fled on foot.”

Police think Clark and Quinn have known each other for a few years and have been planning to flee Dayton, Tennessee, together for the past several weeks.  When they got to Nashville, they ran out of gas and stayed in a Wal-Mart parking lot before going inside the Exxon.

WHNT News 19 is working to gather more information on this breaking news story. Please refresh story for updates.