HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - It's finally time to pull out the boots, scarves and sweaters! With the cooler temperatures, you're likely to crank up your heater. Before you do, you need to make sure it's working correctly.
"Have someone come in, clean and check, make sure everything is safe. That needs to be the primary concern before turning on any appliances," said Thomas Tipton, Hiller service company manager.
Manufactures recommend this for a reason. If you don't, thing could turn deadly.
"The main thing that you hear about is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning happens when there's some sort of leak into the house. It's important that everyone check their carbon monoxide detectors. If they don't have them,they can usually be provided by whichever HVAC professional they have come out to their house," said Tipton.
Once you crack your heat up, a burning smell will linger for a short time.
"Sometimes those burning smells continue on. At that time you should definitely call a professional out to look at the unit," Tipton said.
Most heating and cooling companies provide service plans. When you sign up for one, a service tech comes out once in the spring and fall.
"That's just to have a heads up for any issues you might have, and we look for the all the normal indicators and then do cleaning and preventative patience and things like that," said Tipton.
Experts also say space heaters aren't an ideal source of heat. If you need to use one, make sure it's clean and kept away from anything that might burn.
Good news is when you get your unit serviced regularly, you can actually save money. When techs clean out your filters and maintain equipment, it runs more efficiently. Using less energy, means more cash in your wallet.