A wildfire on Lookout Mountain near the state line jumped a fire break and is threatening homes in Walker County, Georgia. Here’s what we know as of Thursday evening:
- The fire is threatening homes on Lookout Mountain across the state line in Walker County, Georgia.
- Some residences in DeKalb County north of Mentone may be impacted if the fire continues to spread.
- Resources from both the Georgia and Alabama Forestry Commissions are on scene as well as multiple fire departments from surrounding areas.
- ALEA is assisting with aerial water drops.
- The fire jumped a fire break Wednesday because of the persistent wind and issues with terrain.
- The base of operations is just north of Mentone.
- The Alabama Forestry Commission says they have about 60% of the fire contained.
- Authorities are asking that people avoid the area nearcounty road 89 because it is dangerous at this time.
The wind settles down some on Thursday, but a strong storm system passing north of the Tennessee Valley region sends another dry cold front into the area Friday night kicking up the wind and bringing no rain at all.
Dry cold fronts are the worst thing for a wildfire; see the smoke from mountain wildfires hovering over Metro Atlanta: