It’s time for fall heating inspections

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The first official day of fall was September, 22nd which means cooler weather and the heating season are not that far away.  It’s time to have central heating systems, any wood heating appliances and components inspected before they are fired up for daily use in cooler weather. The Consumer Product and Safety Commission, recommends that a qualified heating contractor should inspect home heating systems annually.

  • Equipment that should be inspected includes: the furnace or boiler, its electrical and mechanical components, thermostat controls and automatic safety switches. Chimney, flues and venting systems should also be checked for possible blockage. Birds’ nests and loose mortar are materials commonly found clogging passages. Make sure that your flue, all joints and connectors fit together tightly and are rust or crack free to prevent a back-up of toxic gases. Rust and cracks can cause leakage of toxic fumes into your home which could also result in carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • A chimney sweep should clean the chimney if the inspection reveals an accumulation of soot on chimney walls. Chimneys should be checked and cleaned, if necessary, on an annual basis. Homeowners converting to gas from oil should have their chimney inspected at the time of the conversion and then yearly thereafter. Your BBB reminds consumers that it’s always a good idea to check out a chimney sweep before hiring one.
  • If you are using a wood stove this season, be sure that your stove and stovepipe was installed according to the manufacturer’s recommendations and local codes. If there is any doubt, a building inspector or fire official can determine whether it has been properly vented and installed an appropriate distance away from any combustible surfaces. Always operate your appliance within the manufacturer’s recommended temperature limits. Too low a temperature increases creosote buildup which could cause a chimney fire. Too high a temperature may eventually cause damage to the chimney and may also result in a fire.
  • If work needs to be done on your present heating system or chimney, be certain to hire a contractor with a good reputation for dependable, reasonably priced work. Ask friends, neighbors and colleagues for recommendations and check out any company being considered with the BBB.
  • Obtain at least three estimates for the work. All bids should be in writing and should provide a full description of the services to be provided and the materials to be used.
  • The Department of Energy also offers a free checklist of home heating and other energy related measures that can be taken to improve efficiency that may also help you save money.

Source: Better Business Bureau of North Alabama

For more information, go to Is Your A/C Unit Properly Installed?

To report a scam, go to the BBB Scam Tracker. To find trustworthy businesses, go to