HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- A lunch-time meal turned into a life saving one on Friday at Picadilly Cafeteria at Parkway Place Mall. A customer began choking on a piece of meat, and needed someone to perform the Heimlich maneuver. Thankfully, a Picadilly server stepped in, and became a life saver.
"I was so afraid that I was going to die," said choking survivor Walter Peavy.
Peavy was enjoying a lunch-time meal at Picadilly when it took a drastic turn.
"I couldn't breathe, I couldn't get anything in my airway, and I remember jumping up and running," he said.
Peavy said he was choking, trying to ask for help, when he felt arms wrap around his waist.
"I knew that this person had to be somebody that was strong because, I almost came off the floor when she was doing it," he said.
The hands of an angel, as Peavy described them, belonged to server Peggy McDevitt.
"I knew at once what was happening, and I just ran and grabbed him and lifted him off the floor at least three times before I could get the meat up that was choking him," she said.
But, McDevitt said, she's no hero.
"I think anybody would've done the same thing, if they could have," she said.
Walter Peavy thinks differently, though.
"I knew that it was the Lord sending me this individual and was letting me know that it wasn't time for me to leave yet," he said.
"I'm so thankful that I was here to help Mr. Peavy, I really am," McDevitt added.
Although shaken, Mr. Peavy is doing fine now. He is thankful for the help Peggy McDevitt provided him. And he said, besides the incident, it was a good meal.