WHNT NEWS 19 -- This year, one in six Americans will get sick from food poisoning. If restaurants can make mistakes in the kitchen, then so can you at home. You can avoid food poisoning and long term health effects by following four simple steps.
- Clean-- Clean your cooking utensils and food preparation area. Sounds easy, but it’s a common mistake.
- Separate-- This is an important one. Don’t use the same knife and cutting board to chop raw meat and then veggies….this is one of the top causes of food poisoning.
- Cook-- Did you know that the bacteria that cause food poisoning multiply the quickest in the “Danger Zone” between 40˚ and 140˚ Fahrenheit? It’s super important to make sure you cook your raw foods all the way through.
- Chill-- This is where our top restaurant ratings violation comes in. The possibility of bacterial growth actually increases as food cools after cooking because the drop in temperature allows bacteria to thrive. Refrigerate or freeze food as soon as possible after you’re done cooking or serving.
THIS WEEK'S RATINGS:
Minnie Lee's Diner
204 East Elm St., Athens
Score of: 82
- Damaged strainer.
- Reach-in cooler storing cheese and milk at unsafe temperatures
- Rice being kept at 65 ° F, and potato salad 51 ° F
- Lacking a food safety certification
1516 Florence Blvd., Florence
Score of: 82
- Date marks missing on food containers
- Walk-in cooler needs to maintain proper product temperatures
- Bare-hand contact observed
Mason Jar On Main
102 4th Ave. SE, Red Bay
Score of: 99