HUNTSVILLE, Ala - Therapy Partners will be hosting its annual Dog Days of Summer Friday, August 19th. This year`s event will be held at the Adams Street home of Connie and Rusty Stephenson from 6:30-9:00 p.m. and will feature live music, a silent and live auction, fabulous food, and a chance to meet some of the therapy animals. Tickets for Dog Days are $75 a person and are available by contacting Nancy Farris at 256-682-8208.
Therapy Partners has 30 volunteer therapy teams of registered and certified handlers with their dog or cat partners who assist physicians, nurses, therapists, and social workers to reach their health treatment goals with their patients and clients. They also work with teachers to provide educational stimuli for their students. They visit locations such as hospitals, medical centers, assisted living facilities, community support centers, Hospice Family Care, long term care facilities, and Huntsville elementary schools.
Therapy Partners staff and manage five unique service-oriented programs as well as clicker training. Programs include:
• WAGS (Wait, Ask, Greet, Safety)-instruction to elementary age children on how to approach an unfamiliar dog, recognize warning signs of an unfriendly dog and more.
• RRT (Rapid Response Team)-provides comfort, emotional support and hope to victims of disaster
• PAW (Partners Achieving Wellness)-visits patients in hospitals and other patient care facilities
• PAL (Partners Achieving Literacy)-work with second grade students who are experiencing academic failure due to poor reading skills
• PIC (Partners in the Community)-introduces Therapy Partners through speaking engagements
• PSM (Partners Serving Military)-serves families who have lost a loved one in service to our country through the Supporting Our Survivors (SOS) program based on Redstone Arsenal.
• PSH (Partners Serving Hospice)-supports Hospice Family Care`s service to Madison County