Caught on Video: Hoverboard Fire on Los Angeles Sidewalk Prompts Fire Dept. Response

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

In an incident that was caught on video, Los Angeles firefighters extinguished the flames from a burning hoverboard in the Koreatown neighborhood on Wednesday.

Firefighters from Station 13 were returning from a medical call when they were diverted to the flaming hoverboard in the 900 block of South Vermont Avenue about 11:20 a.m., according to Margaret Stewart with the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The hoverboard, she said, was “fully involved.”

Firefighters called it “pretty impressive,” Stewart said.

Video of the incident sent to KTLA showed the smoking hoverboard stopped on a sidewalk.

“Well, it happened. My board just caught on fire today,” says board owner Delvon Simmons in the video. “My board just burned up.”

Simmons told KTLA he was riding his hoverboard in the sidewalk, following a police officer who was pulling someone over. When he passed the officer, the board "exploded," he said.

In the video, a police officer stopped on his motorcycle says he'll “call someone to put it out.” The officer called LAFD, Simmons said.

About 30 seconds after Simmons' video begins, a sizzling noise comes from the board, which begins to flame up.

“There it goes,” Simmons says. “Six hundred dollars down the drain.”

Sirens are soon heard in the background.

“People, if you’ve got one these in your house, I suggest you get it out,” Simmons says. “Otherwise your house is going to burn down.”