HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - The Huntsville Hospital Foundation hosted its 30th annual recognition dinner last night in the South Ball Room of the Von Braun Center. It was filled with donors, volunteers, employees and others who touch the lives of patients every day.
More than 500 people watched as children who spent time in the Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Huntsville Hospital for Women and Children, walked across the stage with a parent. Each child represented a year the Melissa George Neonatal Memorial Fund has been helping the tiny little miracles who pass through the unit. That fund was established by Chris and Amy George after one of their twins died shortly after birth. They wanted to do something to help other families who might take the same journey through the NICU.
After receiving the Doctor of Philanthropy Award, Chris and Amy George told the crowd someone bigger than them deserves the credit for what Melissa's Fund has done. Amy prayed, “I said God, if this is what You have planned for our family, then You have to take over because we cannot do it. And He did.”
Melissa’s fund has raised $2.4 million dollars in 10 years, money that’s used to buy life-saving equipment for the unit.
Amy says when it comes to grief, she doesn’t have all the answers but, “I realized something a few years ago, that the greatest way we could honor our daughter was to do the one thing she could not do, and that was to live.”
The George’s were honored by also very humbled for the recognition their family received. Chris told the crowd, “Amy and I, when we went down this road this is not what we had intended. God has done great things through Melissa's Fund and through people like you and we thank you very much for being a part of it and God bless you all. Thank you so much!” They were given a standing ovation as they left the stage.
The Societies 1985 & 2012 presented several other awards on behalf of the Huntsville Hospital Foundation. Here are the winners.
- Outstanding Foundation Volunteer Award: Liz Smith
- Outstanding Foundation Partner Awards: Dynetics and Huntsville Hospital Auxiliary
- Outstanding Employee Volunteer Award: Tricia Cash, Cardiovascular Service Line
- Trustee Leadership Award: Rey Almodóvar and his wife Cynthia
- The Carl A. Grote, Jr., MD Outstanding Physician Advocate Award: Dr. Richard Finch
- Doctor of Philanthropy Award: Amy and Chris George
- The Doctor of Philanthropy Award is an honor reserved for those individuals who have demonstrated an extraordinary measure of philanthropic support to the Huntsville Hospital Foundation