Judge reduces $1 million bond for man charged in 2013 Guntersville deadly wreck

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MARSHALL COUNTY, Ala. - A Marshall County judge reduced a $1 million  bond for a man charged in the deaths of four teens.

Adrian Renteria is charged with four counts of manslaughter and three counts of assault 2nd degree stemming from a car crash that happened in July, 2013.

Renteria has been held in the Marshall County jail on a $1 million bond. Last month, his lawyers filed paperwork to have that bond reduced.

The hearing only lasted a few minutes Monday morning.

Renteria's attorneys and attorneys  with the District Attorney's office provided the judge several reasons as to why Renteria's bond should, or should not, be reduced. "Including our fear that he may not stick around for a trial date which we hope is upcoming," Assistant District Attorney Chris Abel says.

Abel says they opposed the motion.

While considering, the judge asked about Renteria's family life and where he lived.

"Judge did reduce the bond from $1 million to $400,000," Abel says.

Abel says while they did oppose the motion, he says they believe the lowered amount is appropriate. "I'm not sure that he will be able to post it, but if he does we believe it will at least secure his presence and at least hopefully keep him in the area for a trial date," Abel said.

Renteria is charged with four counts of manslaughter and three counts of assault.

Prosecutors say Renteria is to blame for the two-vehicle wreck that killed four people, 19-year-old Ryan Lawson, 21-year-old Blake Keener, 13-year-old Maegan Cordell and 18-year-old Ruben Pacheco.  All four were in a truck that collided with the car Renteria was driving.  Investigators say Lawson was driving the truck, Cordell was a passenger in the truck and Keener and Pacheco were in truck's bed.

The wreck happened on Highway 431 near Guntersville in July of 2013.

Renteria had sought youthful offender status earlier this year, but that request was denied.

A state trooper who investigated the wreck says Renteria initially claimed to be a passenger in the vehicle, but he later admitted to being the driver.

As of right now there's no date set for Renteria's next court appearance.