DECATUR, Ala. (WHNT) - Lane closures for pavement replacement are expected to reduce Alabama 20/Wilson Street Northeast in Decatur to one travel lane in each direction between U.S. 31/Sixth Avenue and the railroad bridge beginning 9 a.m. Monday, June 15.
The Alabama Department of Transportation advises motorists to expect delays in the area as contractor Wiregrass Construction begins major work on a $6.5 million pavement replacement, resurfacing and striping project to improve traffic flow at the U.S. 31 and Alabama 20 intersection, just south of the Hudson Memorial Bridge.
Motorists are advised to use alternate routes if possible. Suggested detours will be in place for eastbound and westbound traffic on Alabama 20 through Decatur, I-65 northbound and southbound traffic to Decatur, U.S. 31 northbound and southbound traffic to Decatur, and Alabama 67 (Beltline Road) traffic through Decatur. Those traveling through the work zone should exercise caution and expect delays, especially during peak travel hours. Please be aware of the following traffic controls and permitted or prohibited movements at or near the intersection:
- Traffic will not be allowed to travel straight through the U.S. 31 intersection from eastbound Alabama 20 or westbound Wilson Street. Alabama 20 traffic will be required to turn left onto the northbound bridge or right onto U.S. 31 southbound. Wilson Street traffic will be allowed to turn right onto the northbound bridge, but motorists wishing to go straight onto Alabama 20 or left onto U.S. 31 will be rerouted to the intersection of U.S. 31 and Church Street via Eighth Avenue.
- Turning south from Alabama 20 onto Railroad, Canal, Oak, Line, Ferry and Well streets will be prohibited. Northbound traffic on these roads will also be prohibited from turning onto or crossing Alabama 20. Each of these roads will be closed just south of their Alabama 20 intersections.
- Well Street between Church Street and Alabama 20 will be closed. One westbound lane of Church Street will be closed near Well Street.
- One of the two left turn lanes from U.S. 31 northbound onto Alabama 20 westbound will be closed. Closures of northbound and southbound travel lanes on U.S. 31, the bridges and causeway are not anticipated during this phase of work, though later work will necessitate some closures.
- ALDOT will provide updates about lane closures as work progresses throughout the summer and into the fall.
The $6,560,406 project includes plans to reroute westbound Wilson Street traffic through the U.S. 31 and Church Street intersection, increase to three the number of left turn lanes from eastbound Alabama 20 onto the Hudson Memorial Bridge, and add a third lane to U.S. 31 on the bridge and causeway. At the U.S. 31 and Alabama 20 interchange in southern Limestone County, two of the three northbound lanes will be dedicated to traffic heading east toward Huntsville.