(WHNT) - This year “Giving Tuesday” falls on December 2nd and with all the attention focused on giving, The BBB of North Alabama wants to be sure that people are giving to trustworthy charities.
Fortunately most charities are striving to achieve good results for society and are operating ethically. But how do you know which ones are most deserving of your donations?
Here are some things to address and consider when giving wisely:
- Get the charity’s exact name. With so many charities in existence, mistaken identity is a common problem. Thousands of charities have “cancer” in their name, for example, but no connection with one another.
- Resist pressure to give on the spot, whether from a telemarketer, a door-to-door solicitor or a friend’s post on Facebook.
- Be wary of heart-wrenching appeals. What matters is what the charity is doing to help.
- Press for specifics. If the charity says it’s helping the homeless, for example, ask how and where it’s working.
- Check websites for basics. A charity’s mission, program and finances should be available on its site.
To check out local and national charities now, check the BBB's site give.org.