Happy National Dog Day! Your dog won’t likely read this, so please give him or her a pat on the head for us.
This holiday (also known as National Dog Appreciation Day) has been celebrated every year on August 26th since 2004. The purpose of the holiday is to show appreciation for the millions of the dogs in the U.S. that keep us safe and bring us comfort and companionship.
Share a picture of your dog! Click ‘Submit Your Photo’ below to add one to our gallery. We’ll check for new additions throughout the day and approve them.
Many dogs even put their lives on the line every day – for their law enforcement partner, for their disabled companion, and for victims of a tragedy that need to be pulled from wreckage.
National Dog Day founder Colleen Paige said,” I want this to be a day to encourage dog ownership of all breeds, mixed and pure – to help abolish puppy mills and end breed specific legislation so we can create a world where all dogs (and every animal) can live a happy, safe and abuse-free life.”
According to NationalDogDay.com, here is a list of ways to celebrate:
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
- Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
- Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
- Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
- Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10% discount by using code DOG when placing your order!
- Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
- Spend the day taking photos of your dog.
- Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
- Buy your dog a fun new dog toy….or two…or five.
- Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
- Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
- Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
- Teach your dog a new trick.
- Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.