Trying to reach WHNT News 19? Our phones are down right now, but you can contact us by email here

UPDATE: Lunchtime Customers Evacuated from The Eaves Restaurant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUNTSVILLE,  Ala. (WHNT) – Lunch guests at The Eaves Restaurant in Huntsville had to leave before finishing their meal on Wednesday.  Concerns about a possible electrical fire prompted the wait staff to evacuate about a dozen customers.

Customers started smelling something burning before they started seeing smoke.  The threat was not urgent because customers had time to box up their lunches and pay their bills before leaving the building.  The staff apologized to customers for the inconvenience and explained they needed to take precautions for their safety.

Multiple crews from the Huntsville Fire Department responded and quickly began trying to find the source of the fire.  It’s not clear as of this writing if the restaurant which is known for its unique salads and sandwiches will be back open for lunch on Thursday.  The Eaves Restaurant is located on Church Street in Huntsville.

UPDATE: The Eaves re-opened for lunch on Thursday.  An employee of the restaurant told WHNT News 19 that it was just a small electrical fire.