Stars Still Leaving Despite Biloxi Stadium Concerns

Huntsville, Ala. – (al.com) The debut of minor league baseball in Biloxi will be delayed, but apparently it will come with a clean break from Huntsville.

The City of Biloxi acknowledged, as reported by GulfLive.com today, that its new stadium will not be completed until late July or August of 2015.

The Huntsville Stars, who have been sold to Ken Young and a group of investors with the purpose of moving the Southern League franchise to Biloxi next season, have a lease with the city of Huntsville for the use of Joe W. Davis Stadium through the 2015.

Young has indicated he does not plan to operate in Huntsville, though Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle told AL.com there is “still no word” from Young and minority partner Miles Prentice, the former owner who has been charged with operating the Huntsville club this year, on the team’s intentions.

Southern League president Lori Webb told AL.com today that there is no contingency schedule in place involving Huntsville in 2015; the league’s schedule was released last week.

That means the final regular-season pro baseball game in Huntsville could be the Sept. 1 home finale, though the Stars have already qualified for the Southern League playoffs. To continue reading this article on al.com click here


Related Stories


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 689 other followers