ARAB, Ala. (WHNT)- ‘Tis the season for fireworks. With the Independence Day holiday fast approaching, a lot of people will decide to do their own fireworks show instead of going to a professional one. Arab’s fire chief, Ricky Phillips, has some suggestions for staying safe.
“Enjoy your weekend and have safety in the back of your mind as you are going out to celebrate and shoot fireworks.”
Phillips offers up these tips:
- Only adults should handle fireworks.
- Make sure spectators are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-ignite fireworks that have malfunctioned.
- Keep a bucket of water, a garden hose or a fire extinguisher handy.
- Never throw, point or shoot fireworks towards people, pets, buildings or vehicles.
- Do not use fireworks in wooded areas.
- Never let children play with or handle sparklers. The temperature of the ignited tip can reach 1200 degree F or greater.