TENNESSEE VALLEY, Al. (WHNT) – If you’re looking to find a way to honor the men and women who have served or are serving in the armed forces, there are many events going on around the Tennessee Valley. Here is a list of just a few events we know of so far:
- Memorial Day Tribute Ceremony at Glenwood Cemetery. It begins at 3:00 p.m. on the corner of Cemetery and Hall streets. The ceremony will include a military salute and appropriate remarks by Lieutenant Colonel Felicia Y. Carter of the U.S. Army Reserve Support Command, Redstone Arsenal.
- Huntsville events mentioned an event happening Monday. It’s a ceremony at Maple Hill Cemetery. There will be music at 10:30 a.m. and a ceremony will follow at 11:00 a.m.
- Annual Memorial Day program at the Alabama Veterans Museum. The event starts at 10:30 a.m. and will be at the Limestone County Event Center, across the street from the museum. This years guest speaker will be Brig Gen Theodore “Ted” Harrison, Commanding General, US Army Contracting Command. They will also be honored with music from the AMC Yellahammer Brass Quintet.
- Joel Gurley will host a Memorial Day barbecue and program on his farm in the Florette community. It starts at 10:00 a.m. and lunch is served at noon.
The farm is at 45 Peck Hollow Road in Somerville, about 2 miles from Brewer High School. Between 100 and 150 Redstone soldiers are expected to attend.
- The Marshall County VFW will hold a Memorial Day service. It’s expected to start at 11:00 a.m. at the Marshall County courthouse.