Craigslist.org can be a great place to find deals on used vehicles, electronics, appliances and other major items. But watch out for a new, elaborate scam that’s taking advantage of bargain hunters.
Follow the BBB’s tips for shopping safely on Craigslist.org.
- Always meet the seller and see the item for sale before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams on Craigslist. This is also true for housing rentals. If you can’t tour the house or apartment before renting it, it’s likely not available.
- Avoid deals involving shipping or escrow services. The “Easy Yard Sale” scam is only one take on this trend. Avoid them by purchasing directly from the seller.
- Never give out financial information.
- Watch out for fake checks and money orders. Be aware that banks will initially accept checks, but will hold you responsible if they are later discovered to be fake.
- Never wire funds or use a pre-paid debit card to transfer money to someone you don’t know. With these types of payment, once you send the money… it’s gone.
As always, contact the BBB for questions or concerns t (256) 850-0719.