Assists the Director in all activities of the Traffic Engineering Division of the Department of Urban Development in planning, budgeting, designing, construction, quality control, program management, and supervising of services by both public employees, professional consultants electrical and general contractors.
Through supervisory personnel, supervision is exercised over all employees of the department in the absence of the Director. Work is reviewed for adherence to policy and for results obtained.
Assists in planning and coordinating the design and implementation of traffic engineering capacity improvement and accident reduction projects that include new or improvements to all types of traffic controls, wireless communication and intelligent transportation devices and their deployment. Provides engineering approval authority associated with the roadway geometric design and traffic control design for City of Huntsville construction or improvement projects along major and minor roadways. Oversees the design review and approval of private development roadway projects conductedby staff. Provides directives to signal techs for optimization of traffic signal systems; assists with development of a traffic control Central Maintenance Management System for the City.
Works closely with Engineering, Planning, and other municipal divisions and departments and ALDOT in the design and plan development of capital improvement projects. Assists in preparing the Division’s annual operating and capital improvement funding request. Confers with various administrative officials and public groups on traffic congestion, safety, and traffic calming issues. Assists in planning, design, deployment, operation and ongoing management of Traffic Engineering Intelligent TransportationSystems (ITS) program. Prepares regular and special reports relative to the design, construction, and funding of traffic projects and programs.
Confers with traffic engineering staff on proposed and current traffic projects and improvements; participates in project design review with staff, consultants, utility companies, and other City departments to ensure compliance with scope, budget and schedule; assists in coordinating the funding of various traffic programs involving federal, state, and local funding. Confers with various administrative officials and public groups on needed, proposed traffic projects and programs in-progress; reviews and responds to complaints regarding deficiencies or problems with traffic control devices or intersections geometrics; assists in coordinating inter-departmental activities related to traffic projects and programs. Conducts on site review of traffic construction projects with traffic engineering staff, other City departments and contractors to review progress, resolve conflicts and ensure compliance with plans and specifications. Prepares and supervises preparation of regular and special reports relative to the design, construction and funding of traffic projects and programs to ensure compliancewith plans and specifications. Provides assistance with engineering and technical knowledge in bid preparation and evaluation.
Trains, assigns, reviews, and evaluates the work of professional, technical and clerical staff. Oversees staff and consultant provided special studies related to traffic control strategies and urban development projects. Appears before Planning Commission,City Council, the Mayor, and/or public on behalf of the Traffic Engineering Director to address traffic issues, or present plans or recommendations for capacity improvement or accident reduction projects. Requires a regular and prompt attendance plus the ability to work well with others and work well as a team. Performs other duties as assigned.
The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of offices. Work is essentially sedentary with occasional walking and standing. Computer work requires manual dexterity.
- Master’s Degree in Civil or Transportation Engineering from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education whose program is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering Technology (ABET) with considerable experience in administrative and supervisory work in traffic engineering operations and management.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of traffic engineering with extensive experience in traffic operations and geometric design in a municipal or urbanized county government.
- Knowledge of current developments and literature in the field of traffic and transportation engineering. Knowledge of applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to urban traffic engineering practice.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and coordinate the activities of professional and management support staff.
- Thorough knowledge of construction and maintenance methods, materials, and equipment related to municipal projects and programs with experience primarily in traffic engineering.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, professional peers, public officials, and the public.
Must be registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Alabama.
Click here for more information or to apply for this job.