AUBURN, Ala. – Tony Barbee, who has directed the Auburn men’s basketball program for the last four seasons, has been dismissed as head coach, Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs announced Wednesday evening.
“I want to thank Coach Barbee and his staff for all they have done over the past four years,” Jacobs said. “I sincerely appreciate all they have given to Auburn and wish each of them and their families nothing but the best.
“As I said last year, I hoped to see significant improvement this season. Unfortunately, the results fell short of my expectations. As Athletics Director, I expect more from our basketball program. That is why I believe it is time to move in a new direction.”
In four seasons at Auburn, Barbee posted an overall record of 49-76 (.392), and a mark of 18-50 (.265) in the Southeastern Conference.
An Indianapolis, Ind., native, Barbee was named Auburn’s men’s basketball coach on March 24, 2010.
“The search for a new basketball coach will begin immediately,” Jacobs said. “My goal is to find a proven winner who is committed to the success of our student-athletes on and off the court. Our student-athletes deserve nothing less than the opportunity to compete at the highest level, and that’s what I intend to deliver for them.”
Courtesy: AU Media Relations