This is technical and supervisory work related to data, wireless, VoIP networks and related software/hardware.Work involves supervising and planning for effective provisioning, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of data, wireless, VoIP networks, hardware/software and related infrastructure in a predominately Cisco-based network.
Work involves supporting the City of Huntsville by planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, maintenance and testing of network hardware and software across LAN and WAN networks.
Work is performed with independence for initiative, judgment and action, and is reviewed for adherence to policies and procedures and for results achieved.
Plans, assigns, supervises, and directs Network Engineer I and other personnel in the selection, installation, configuration, maintenance and testing of hardware/software related to data, wireless and VoIP networks.
Maintains network performance by utilizing network monitoring, analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshoots and resolves network problems, escalates network problems to vendor as needed.Designs, configures, sets up and troubleshoots complex switching/ routing environments; designs, configures, setup and troubleshoots complex wireless networking to support open and secured access along with voice and video applications.
Develops and maintains network security; monitors, controls, establishes and enforces policies and procedures related to network security; maintains documentation; safeguards data and insures the confidentiality, integrity and availability of network resources. Configures, sets up, and maintains firewalls, VPN devices, IDS/IPS/Security appliances, VoIP infrastructure, Cisco Call Manger, Cisco Unity, Cisco Contact Center, and various other networking hardware/software.
Designs and conducts training programs related to data, wireless, VoIP networks and related software/hardware; provides reference and support. Upgrades network by conferring with vendors, Network IT Manager, IT personnel and support services; develops, tests, evaluates, and installs enhancements and new hardware/software as required. Tracks and submits financial information for budgets and monitors expenses.
Participates in educational opportunities, reads professional publications, and participates in professional organizations to keep apprised of changing and trends related to data, wireless, VoIP networks and related software/hardware. Assists with development of short and long range strategic IT plans; recommends upgrades and purchase of software/hardware; recommends vendors; coordinates with ITS staff, other city departments and software/hardware vendor or IT related matters.
Requires regular and prompt attendance plus the ability to work well with others and work well as a team. Performs related work as required. Responds to requests on-call.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
The work environment involves everyday risk or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of offices. Work is performed indoors and outdoors and exposes employee to hazards, including working at heights, high noise levels and high voltage. Work is sedentary with occasional walking, standing, and light lifting. Computer work requires manual dexterity.
Minimum Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related discipline from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education with supervisory and considerable Network Administrator experience.
- Experience with server virtualization and Storage Area Network (SAN) technology is desired.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of Cisco-based network environments, including administration, installation, configuration, monitoring, maintenance, and support.
- Considerable knowledge of networking theory, routers, switches, servers and Microsoft operating networks; their users, configuration, administration, operation, to include Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP.
- Considerable knowledge of networking devices; their uses, configuration, administration and operation.
- Considerable knowledge of laws and ordinance affecting information technology to include Information Assurance laws and best practices.
- Knowledge of application software including various versions of common third party, desktop, spreadsheet, work processing, and presentation software.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to translate technical terminology in terms understandable by non-technical personnel.
- Ability to direct, plan, assign, supervise, coordinate and evaluate the work of subordinate personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Skill in using a computer and related equipment.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Certification in Cisco methodologies (i.el, CCNA, CCNP) is desired
Click here for more information or to apply for this job.