Florence Mayor Speaks About New Commission
FLORENCE, Ala. (WHNT) – On Thursday, Mayor Mickey Haddock announced his plan to continue the revitalization of Florence. His vision is to create a sports and entertainment commission for the city. The commission will work in conjunction with the city and the tourism board.
Rick Elliott owns two restaurants in downtown Florence. He said the decision can help his businesses continue to grow.
“The out-of-town business is a very important part of my business, especially now,” said Elliott.
Mayor Haddock said his goal is to continue to promote the Shoals and put it on the national map. He believes that can happen through hosting more national tournaments and events. He said a way to accomplish this is by creating this commission.
“We want to go after a lot of different sporting activities that will bring people into our town. So they can enjoy our town and see what our town is about,” said Haddock.
The mayor said the commission will be made up of all volunteers. He plans to get it started within the next weeks.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart
- Interview for the World's Toughest Job - and Billions are Already Doing it