TVA, Local Utilities Ask Customers To Conserve Energy During Cold Period

Posted on: 11:03 am, January 23, 2014, by

Image: MGN Online

Image: MGN Online

TENNESSEE VALLEY (WHNT) – The Tennessee Valley Authority has asked electric power customers to conserve energy through the day and night until Friday afternoon.  Huntsville Utilities has also made the request.

There’s a large usage of power during these cold temperatures and the utility asks customers to help by reducing power usage during this critical situation.

Here are some ways to reduce usage:

• Postpone use of electric non-essential appliances such as dishwashers, dryers and cooking equipment
  • Reduce the use of HVAC units by adjusting thermostats – lowering the temperature just one degree can result in a savings of up to 3 percent
  • Turn off non-essential lights, appliances and other equipment

Huntsville Utilities said it does not anticipate major problems, but anytime an electric system endures frigid cold, equipment can fail.  Huntsville Utilities crews were busy during the frigid cold period earlier this month restoring several power outages, and will be ready to respond again.

If you do have an outage at your home, please turn off your heating system.  Once your power is restored, please wait approximately 15 minutes before re-starting your heating system.  A slow return to normal usage will assist HU crews in maintaining stability throughout the entire electrical system and reduce the possibility of additional outages.

For the region, TVA said the peak power demand for Thursday is expected to occur in the evening when regional temperatures are forecast to drop into single digits and electricity demand is projected to exceed 31,000 megawatts. Another peak demand will occur Friday morning when electric loads are expected to peak around 33,000 megawatts. In comparison, demand was just below 32,500 megawatts during the height of the cold wave on Jan. 7, 2014.

• Bob says:

I’m sure they will take us to the cleaners with the next bill. Total ripoff.

• William says:

…..better than freezing to death!!!!!!!

• WildWolf says:

I know Bob… I mean seriously… why should I have to pay more just to be comfortable? If I want to keep my thermostat on 72, I shouldn’t have to pay more than the people that set theirs on 66. Utilities Companies should stop charging people by how much they use and start charging based on a system like ObamaCare… That way, the middle class can continue to suffer, the rich can get richer, and those struggling can have free electricity. That seems way more fair than paying for my own individual use of Utilities…
      ~Of course, I’m being sarcastic. Bob, I need you to fill out an ID-10-T Form and a Hurt-Feelings-Report and turn them into your local utilities company so you can get a discount on your bill.

Of course, you could always go chop down a tree and build a fire in your living room to stay warm Bob. Just turn your heat off and make your own heat somehow. You seem like a smart guy, I’m sure you’ll figure it all out.

• Diana says:

And, the advice we got to minimize our chances of frozen pipes was NOT to lower our home thermostats especially at night, so what are we to do?

• Nuclear Mike says:

Huntsville Utlities would like to turn off your electric hot water heater about now!!! Install a gas hot water heater!!!

Hold on for the COLD ride and better have a propane or kerosene heater on the standby or your whole house may become water logged!!! Or you just may freeze to death!

• Nuclear Mike says:

PS: for those of you who have heat pumps better expect the worse…

• Kimberly Day says:

Why doesn’t TVA stop closing plants? If they would keep them open, all the strain could be divided among them. It would also keep people in jobs. I unplug all my small appliances when they’re not in use. I keep my thermostat set the same winter and summer. I use Ipropane as a secondary heat to keep my unit from running constantly. I turn lights off when I’m not in a room. I dress warmly even when I’m in my house to keep from bumping up my thermostat. I think I’m doing plenty. Thank you anyways.