Scottsboro Businesswoman Shirley Dawson Dies After Long Illness

Posted on: 4:27 pm, January 4, 2014, by , updated on: 11:03pm, January 5, 2014

SCOTTSBORO, Ala. (WHNT) – Many people will remember Shirley Dawson as a woman full of southern style and grace who made whipping up a meal or icing a cake look effortless.  For years, Dawson entertained and informed Tennessee Valley viewers on Saturday mornings as the host of the program, “He Cooks, She Cooks” which aired for years on WHNT News 19.

Saturday morning, Dawson’s daughter informed members of WHNT News 19 that her mother had died following a long battle with cancer.  She was 66.

In addition to being a television personality, Dawson was a commercial and residential interior designer.  She earned a degree from the Chicago Interior Design School.  She was also an entrepreneur and developer in Scottsboro.  She owned the Wimberly House interiors and gift shop where the “He Cooks, She Cooks” program was recorded.  She also owned The Village on Broad Street shopping center and an assisted living facility in Scottsboro.

Shirley Dawson’s funeral will be at 1 p.m. Monday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Scottsboro.

Photo Gallery Expand 1 of 7

Submit Your Photo

• Jona says:

I loved watching her shows. Prayers for the family.

• Delores says:

Loved the show and enjoyed a couple visits to live show. She will be sorely missed by all. God be with the family.

• Rhonda says:

Loved the show! Prayers going out to the family.

• Angie says:

I loved her show and especially when her husband was on it with her. She was a truly Southern Belle and a great cook. Prayers for family and too all that knew her.

• Angela says:

Loved watching “Shirley and Robert” “GREAT COOK”!!! So many takents!!!
    “Prayers with you all”…

• Joann says:

She will be missed. Saw her a couple of years ago and she let me take a picture of my mother and her. Loved to hear her talk. She was such a nice southern lady. Praying for Robert and the family. I did not know she was sick. God Bless Shirley..

• Betty says:

I loved watching her show…I was fortunate enough to get to attend one of her shows. She was so nice and I was able to have my picture taken with her. I have always treasured the picture. She will be missed by so many!! My prayers are with her family!!!

• Sandi says:

Watched her everytime she was on. I will cherish my signed cookbook even more now. She left a legacy for everyone ! I can see her right now cooking up something and saying ” something good is about to happen”. Makes me smile! Thinking of her family. God bless you all.

• Jayne says:

So sorry. Remembering seeing her on tv. Very gracious lady!

• Joanie and Ted says:

Love watching her she had a lot of great recipes.She will be missed.