Father Of Convicted School Shooter To Stand Trial Next Week
HUNTSVILLE, Ala.(WHNT)-The father of convicted school shooter Hammad Memon will stand trial next week on charges that he tried to help his son escape the country.
A status hearing on Friday confirmed that Dr. Iqbal Memon’s trial will begin on Monday. Memon is charged with hindering prosecution.
The case stems from an escape attempt made by Iqbal Memon’s son Hammad in April 2012. The younger Memon was subsequently captured in Texas one day after he left his home in Madison with his mother, Safia Memon. Authorities said the two were on the way to Mexico, with Mrs. Memon later pleading guilty to her role in helping her son violate his bond agreement by obtaining a Pakistani passport.
Prosecutors later revealed that they believe Iqbal Memon also played a part in his son’s temporary escape. They have not divulged details, but have indicated that Dr. Memon misled police officers who were trying to locate his family.
Hammad Memon was sentenced to 30 years in prison after pleading guilty to murder last year. Authorities said Hammad Memon shot fellow classmate Todd Brown in the back of the head at Discovery Middle School in Madison in February 2010.