Andalusia parents name son Krimson Tyde, surprised at reactions

Posted on: 4:59 am, December 30, 2013, by , updated on: 05:00am, December 30, 2013

Krimson Tyde Steele, born Dec. 17 to parents Summer and Steven. (Photo courtesy: Summer Steele via AL.com)

An Andalusia couple are getting a lot of attention for naming their son Krimson Tyde – in honor of their favorite team.

As WHNT’s news partner AL.com reported, Summer and Steven Steele had a new baby boy on Dec. 17.

“The reason we named him Krimson is that we are big Alabama fans and it is a very unique name and we loved it,” Summer Steele told Alabama Media Group on Sunday.

Weighing seven pounds and five ounces, Krimson did have a health setback on Saturday that put him back in doctor’s care. He’s now home with medicine but “still having stomach issues.”

Summer told AL.com she’s “surprised at the media attention as well as some of the vitriol she’s received” for giving her baby his unusual name.

“I’m very shocked, I didn’t think people would make a very big deal about it,” said Steele.

Click here to read the full story at AL.com.

• I love the name Andalusia.

• jamison-jones says:

its better than this funky name, north west.

• Laurene Walker says:

Wouldn’t it be funny if 18 years from now, he chooses Auburn

• chris says:

my brother named his lil one Nicholas Bryant Woodle after nick saban an of course the greatest paul bear

• melissa mcdaniel says:

i love it

• jamison-jones says:

my friend name his daughter ..mercedes Bentley rose

• valerie says:

Very cute!! Although I am a die hard auburn fan lol

• Tammy says:

Love the name!! Very cute

• Karen says:

It’s an ok name. Nice when he is a baby, hard name when he is in school. Lots of teasing, kids will shorten it to Krim

• Shelia says:

I think they should have thought about what it will be for him living with that name…all the teasing and stuff, kids are cruel. He will get knocked around a lot by Auburn Fans. Bless his heart.

• Amy says:

I really wish parents would grow up and stop saddling their children with *youneek* and *kre8tive* names. It might be cute on a baby but one day he will be a man with a name on his resume that may inhibit him landing a decent job. I feel very sorry for this baby. He can’t help that his parents are clueless.

• B says:

Amy, as an employer I can honestly say the name of an person has never in anyway effected my decision to hire or not hire an applicant….. that being said I’m going to step out on a limb and say you are the one who is “clueless”.
      I personally think Krimson is a great name, it would have been just as nice without the middle name Tyde, but its not my child so who am I to judge….

• Joe Oates says:

DHR should step in and give this child a real name.

• Beth says:

Why?? would you leave hurtful remarks about a babies name? Why would you be so cruel ? didn’t your mother or father or teacher ever tell you, “if you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything at all”. If you don’t like the name, then don’t say anything…. This world is full of bad things, just look through some of these articles. when clearly these people are blessed with a healthy baby boy, with a name picked just for him. He is beautiful.. And welcome to the world Krimson, they are probably Auburn fans.. Roll Tide!

• Huntsville says:

I agree with Beth!! People can name their kids whatever they want. Beth, some of these people are just ignorant…. Jamison and Keel are your worst attackers on here!! Do expect a negative racist comment in some form from them!!

• Nancy Morris says:

I hope he grows up to attend Auburn.

• Ryan says:

The problem with the name is there will come a period just like after Bear Bryant to where the program will go through a long down period and then his name will be associated will a losing program. All football teams experience this sooner or later and prior to Saben they did not have a lot to RTR about

• What people need to understand is that if kids are going to bully other children because of their names it doesn’t matter what their name is they can have the plainest name ever and they will still find a way to make fun of them. I would rather my child have an unusual name and stand out from the rest than to be the 20th Plain jane name on the rollcall at school. A name has nothing to do with the character or integrity of a person or what they grow up to be.

• Amy says:

Of course names matter! This poor child will be labeled as lower class before anyone even has a chance to know him! Why? Because educated middle to upper class parents would never name their child something as silly as this! I’m not being hateful, just honest!

Read this link about baby names – http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/144285/10_ways_your_babys_name

• Cecelia says:

You need to tell that to all the big stars of Hollywood; who everyone seems to want to emulate. I mean they are suppose to be the upper crust type and they give their babies names like: apple, north west, river, etc. It seems to me you have judged these parents unfairly, without knowing them. You have labeled them lower class and uneducated. Why can’t everyone just be happy for them and the new baby. In the old days that is what we did, just be happy.

• Jona (teased with "Jonah and the Whale") says:

Maybe he will be a preacher someday and be an example of how Jesus loves us and doesn’t judge us by the names we have. Jesus suffered and died on the cross leaving a Crimson Tide to cover our sins that we should be in heaven with him. I got teased about my name throughout life but I love my name still.

• Joe Oates says:

Jona is a great name. I did not associate it with the story until I read your post. I still don’t think of them as the same.

With a name like Krimson Tyde, I’m sure the kid already has a trust fund started by some bama alumni.

• JIM says:

WHAT IF HE WAS NAMED WAR EAGLE I LOVE THE NAME TYDE

• Eloise says:

I see nothing wrong with it. None of our business anyway.

• The K and the Y sound tacky, otherwise a cool name.

• I notice by the names listed here that none of you grew up with a really strange name. Try growing up in a family of Penny, Mary Louise, Peggy and “Weeta”. (Not spanish – Ouita or french Ouida, but Welch Weeta!!!) No one believes it is your name, or how to spell it. I’ve been asked many times to call my mom to school due to my name, cause the sub didn’t think I knew how to spell it. Finally, I got a non-driver’s ID so prove it, then got my license. Always kept it handy to be able to show how to spell my name & that it really was my name. When I left home, the first thing I did was legally change my name to my nickname. (Mom called me Skeeter & Dad called me Cricket) Even in my 60s I STILL get ribbed about my name. IT’S NOT FUNNY!!! I think someone should step in and ‘encourage’ them to change the name or at least change the spelling to something more conventional.

• Karinttt says:

I once had friends whose last name was Clear…. they named there daughter “Crystal”…. That’s about as funky as I would want to see a name. At least, it is a “person’s” name. And I do not agree with folks who say “If you can’t say something nice…don’t….blah blah”…. Pointing out that this is saddling a child with a very unusual and kind of cumbersome name, is not being ugly. It’s being truthful. And, if you name your child something so funky, you need to get used to the comments. Hopefully, the child will go by “Tyde.” Krimsom just doesn’t do it for me, my opinion. And who thinks that movie stars are part of the upper crust and if they name their children with weird names, the rest of us should be proud to do it too…? Hmmmmm…. movie stars are “upper crust?” That idea baffles me totally! Kayne is upper crust??? Seriously?

• When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get
    four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Appreciate it!