‘Duck Dynasty’ star suspended after anti-gay remarks

Posted on: 4:50 am, December 19, 2013, by and , updated on: 05:02am, December 19, 2013

(Image Credit: A&E via CNN.com)

(Image Credit: A&E via CNN.com)

(CNN) — Is this man simply expressing his beliefs or spewing bigotry?

Either way, Phil Robertson, the patriarch in A&E’s “Duck Dynasty,” won’t be duck calling on air anytime soon. The network suspended him after slamming gays in a magazine interview.

In the January issue of GQ, Robertson said homosexuality is a sin and puts it in the same category as bestiality and promiscuity.

“It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical,” he’s quoted as saying.

When asked what he thought was sinful, Robertson replied: “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

But homosexuals aren’t alone, Robertson said. “Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

A&E said it was troubled by Robertson’s statements.

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,” the network said in a statement Wednesday. “His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

In addition to his comments about homosexuality, Robertson also spoke about race and growing up in Louisiana before the civil rights era.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once,” he told GQ. “Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field. … They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word!

“Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues,” GQ quoted Robertson as saying.

Outrage and support

The NAACP and the Human Rights Campaign wrote a joint letter to the president of A&E expressing “outrage and deep concern about the recent racist, homophobic, and ill-informed remarks made by Phil Robertson.”

“Mr. Robertson claims that, from what he saw, African Americans were happier under Jim Crow. What he didn’t see were lynching and beatings of black men and women for attempting to vote or simply walking down the street,” the letter states.

“And his offensive claims about gay people fly in the face of science. In fact, it’s important to note that every single leading medical organization in the country has said that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being LGBT — it’s not a choice, and to suggest otherwise is dangerous.”

But by early Thursday morning, more than 19,000 people had signed a change.org petition calling for A&E to bring Robertson back.

Note: The above text is excerpted directly from an article appearing at CNN.com. Click here to read the full story.

• Seems to me this man was asked for his opinion. If you didn’t want his opinion you should not have asked him for it. As for the folks that were offended at what he said…grow up, get over it, someone is always going to see things differently than you, no matter who you are no matter what you believe or what you do not believe.

• George stylus says:

Right on Betty Ann. Plus according to the Bible, ole Phil is exactly right. Homosexuality is a sin. Phil Robertson is a good man and a great role model for our kids, especially is today’s society. I hope people really get behind him and show A&E how it is. God bless the Robertson family!

• Rita says:

If they did not want his opinion then they should not have asked him. I really don’t see how A&E could punish him for his own personal opinion, he gave to GQ, just because they can. It does not make any since to. You don’t own or control someone’s opinion. It would not surprise me if he and his family moved to a different channel.

• True Believer says:

Come on those of you who proclaim to be Christians. Phil was doing what all Christians should do, he was refusing to deny the faith by choosing not to give a politically correct answer. No where do I see that he condoned mistreatment of those who engage in these more obvious of the sins, he merely stated that they are sins. Justification comes through knowledge of your sins, asking forgiveness and turning from them. How can people come to the knowledge of what their sins are if no one speaks the Word? Phil’s comments should be coming from the mouths of every true man of God. We should be asking why they are not speaking God’s Word. What are they afraid of losing? Phil may be judged by A&E now, but he seems to understand that he will be judged by God later. Whose judgement should he fear more? A&E who can take away his paycheck or God who can take his soul?

• Fay Jackson says:

AMEN !!!! There Are to Many People calling them Self Christian and Back up when their Job is on the line or some thing they Might lose,what has a Person Gained if they Gain all the world Has to offer if they Lose their Very soul…

• I grew up in North Alabama in the 50′sand 60′s. I am like Phil. I Never saw one black person mistreated. I grew up playing with black children. Some of my dearest lifelong friends are black. When my grandparents died our black friends were some of the very first there to try and help. I grew up in those troubled times in Alabama with one uncle that was GEORGE WALLACES BODYGAURD. The problem was a very elite few and the instigators Freedom Riders who came South to stir things up. The reality is seldom as black and white as the history books would like. Phil is a Christian and only stated his belief stated on the Bible. This entire country needs to read that best seller again

• Fay Jackson says:

AMEN ,I also Had a Good Friend That was Black in those times,And I have Never looked at a Person and was a Black person or white Person I saw a Person,And What they are doing is very wrong,His 1st Amendment right’s Are being walked on all the way around,Being a Christian he May not use But he sure has a Case if he wanted to..

• Stephanie says:

I totally agree with Phil but the thing that everyone is missing is Phil is not the first one to say this. If people would read the bible it plainly states that homosexuality is a sin. God stated this centuries ago. What ever happened to free speech! Seems like to me free speech is allowed until it has something to do with what the bible says. Most of the people that are complaining about this call themselves christian but their true colors are definitely showing.

• Tim Blankenship says:

This is what people need to read for themselves before they criticize Phil for his comments:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    New Living Translation (NLT)

9 Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,
    10 or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.

• Bob says:

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven” – Luke 6:37

See, I can quote the Bible, too!

• Susan says:

Phil is quoting the Bible, just as he always does. There are so very few programs that are not filled with filth, cursing or something that just turns your stomach. This is a good Christian family, headed by this man of God that aren’t afraid to speak the truth. (Read ALL of The Bible) If all these companies can back programs that offend so many others, can’t back this one that probably offends less we may all stop purchasing their products! Then see where they stand!!!!

• Jerry says:

Read Leviticus 20:13 Its In The Bible .That’s The Bottom Line Cause God Said So

• Michael Kewl says:

Phil pretty much said it all…correctly too!!! Now the decisions of A&E to profit by the Duck Dynasty wholesome good Family values requires that Phil be re-instated as in any reality show the truth is what it is and NOT to be censured!!!
    Otherwise, our Families have just tuned the A&E channel OFF for good & totally!!!

• Bob says:

Now if we could just get Honey Boo Boo to say the “N” word!

• paul says:

LOL, tell’em Bob! it’s gonna be tough though, getting through to them. Sounds like most of these folks believe God is an American and Jesus was born in Alabama.
        Listen, Phil has every right to say whatever; it’s the platform he used and what he represents. When Phil is breathing through his mouth, he represents A&E and sadly, the South. (except for me; im a redneck, juast a different shade from Phil and most the folks here!)

• Diana Lee says:

I don’t even watch the show and will not if it comes back on. However, the man has a right to his beliefs and freedom of speech.

• Hopper says:

He is trying to live up to the standards of the bible and it is the word because it is in the bible. The guy on the news said Phil needed to realize that times have changed, he is wrong man has changed but the word in the bible has not changed and it says that men lying with men is wrong

• Branko Pezdi says:

Why is everyone so shocked? This is yet another of the infinite number of examples of leftist intolerance. Statists, whether they are the Bolsheviks of 1917 Russia, the Nazis of 1930 Germany, or the Democrats/Obamabots of 2013 America are by definition authoritarian control freaks who hate individual freedom and the dignity of the human individual. When we allow these people to seduce us and play on our personal greed (e.g. “I gots me an Obamaphone”} with their sloganeering and lying propaganda, we have only ourselves to blame.

• Jewelaine says:

ok, next we can’t say people can’t steal because some one wants to and it hurts their feelings to say it is wrong. If you have a problem with Phil’s words, take it up with God. that is want who words he repeated!!!!

• Branko Pezdi says:

Eh? You responding to my comment? Never mind your incoherent and indecipherable response, do you even understand what I wrote?

• paul says:

You should change your name to Blankco, because you have no clue!

• Branko Pezdi says:

Did you make that one up all by yourself. boy? Or did your mother help while she was burping you?

• richard sherrod says:

Remember, the freedom of speech carries with it the freedom to offend, can’t have one without the other,, This man is right and America is having a hard time doing what is right these days..

• jamison-jones says:

LGBT people!! demand world domination!

• Ellen says:

This is ridiculous! Homosexuality is constantly being crammed in our face but as soon as someone expresses their opinion about it the LGBT community is outraged. Get over it! Read your bible! This world has turned into sadom and Gomorrah. I will stand by what I believe and if you don’t like it WHO CARES!

• Bob Dickinson says:

Phil is right read the Bible,

• Gina Richter says:

Phil is exactly right! Homosexuality is a sin. God marks it with other sins. This country was formed from people who lived by the Word of God. We all in this country have the right to freedom of speech. This country and the world need to study the Bible and live by it, this country and world would be happier. If all these people that are “offended” would read the Bible, they would see that it is not all about “them”, it is about living for God and getting to Heaven. There is a Heaven and there is a HELL, let’s all be concerned about living for God and making it to a place that is perfect, far better than here, a place where there is no argument, no sin, no sickness, no death!!

• jamison-jones says:

Everything these days has to be out gays. what about those who are STRAIGHT? are we the ENDANGERED species now? are we the minority?

• Bob says:

No, you’re not an endangered species. That’s absolutely the most ridiculous thing to say.
      And who cares if you are the minority or the majority?

• Branko Pezdi says:

Not to worry. Sexual deviants are still less than 10% of the population, no matter how loudly they shriek and moan in public.

• Bob says:

Haha why does everyone seem to think A&E is bound by the Constitution? If you say something that loses customers for your employer, then yeah, you might get suspended or fired. It seems pretty cut and dry. Money, and not morality, calls the shots.

• Branko Pezdi says:

Sure. Except if you think that this intolerant reaction by A&E will make them money and gain them viewers, then you’re not very bright.

• Bob says:

And also, why are people calling it a First Amendment violation?
    He wasn’t censored.
    He was suspended from an ancillary job.

• stac says:

I really hope that since they suspended Phil, the rest of the cast walks out. I am sure another station would pick them up… and pay them more! I don’t know that I would even want to be on A & E knowing their views and opinions on homosexuality. ‘It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh and Phil Robertson gets suspended.’ -Gov. of LA, Bobby Jindal

• Bob says:

I really hope they walk off, too. It’s a boring show about ignorant, rednecks.
      Now, if we can just Honey Boo Boo to say the “N” word!

• ralph says:

some people believe the bible. if you dont then mind your own bisness…..

• Roger Allen says:

That’s like asking a Christian what he thinks about muslims!

• C B says:

I love how the part where he said that he wasn’t judging anyone and just thought that EVERYONE needed to be loved because we are all sinners was completely left out of this article. His whole point was that the world needed Jesus and love because even our “righteous acts are as filthy as rags…”
    How about we give this man the rights to freedom of speech and his own opinion for the principle, not just for his beliefs.

• Bob says:

You’re right – it’s America. He’s entitled to his opinion, as disgusting as some may find it. He’s entitled to his religious beliefs, as fake as some may find his religion. He’s entitled to freely speak his mind, as revolting as his comments were. You know what he’s not entitled to? Being on a TV show. It’s that whole “at-will” employment thing you all like – his employer was free to fire him for any reason or no reason, and his employer felt he made them look bad, hence, they sh!tcanned his a55.

Also, Did you notice I had censor my language there?
      Do you know why I did that?
      It’s because this website does not belong to me.
      I can say whatever I please as long as it fits within the guidelines set by WHNT.
      I still have Freedom of Speech, but, there are consequences to what I say.
      It’s the same for everybody.

• jamison-jones says:

@Bob…. are you saying gays are the majority audience for A&E? SERIOUSLY? i don’t know either

• Shelia says:

Right on Phil Robertson. I doubt he cares about what anybody thinks including A&E. We need more people like Phil in this world. He didn’t impose his beliefs on the world he spoke the truth.

• Jane says:

I read the GQ article a few minutes ago, I found nothing in the article upsetting to the gays or the LGBT. The article was slightly funny and made me see a different side of Phil Robertson. Freedom of speech i should be guaranteed to every American, that is what is being fought for and what was fought for. Whether he was baited or not, is not the question, A&E needs to read the article for what is was written, a look into the life of Phil Robertson. As for all of the the the other commentators, take a few minutes to read the article before jumping on a band wagon. I am a Christian, and I do my best to follow Gods laws and let him do the judging. After all, it is his job in the end.

• Bob says:

Freedom of Speech is guaranteed to every American and no one is saying it was taken away from him.
      Maybe you need to reread what this all about, too.

• Rita says:

Just wonder what his opinion of Obama is hes correct about what the Bible
    Says about gays.

• jamison-jones says:

Its all about the brand thats A&E. He’s sure entitled to his opinion but a&e is a business and i guess any comments about groups of people that are deemed inappropriate or otherwise and would cost the company business are not tolerated. A&E needs every $ they can get from anybody. Now, if phil feels so strongly about this subject, he should become an activist. they have special protections in the first amendment.

• mega78 says:

Well everyone has there opinions and I feel that Phil Robertson has a right to give his opinion. But I also believe that if you don’t won’t a Robertson’s opinion don’t ask. And in my opinion EVERYONE needs to read the BIBLE. And its also a sin to JUDGE someone else that’s GOD’S PLACE to take care of that. BRING PHIL ROBERTSON BACK

• JIM says:

Way to go Phil ,He does,t need A&E hes a self made multi millionair but to keep the no. one show going A&E needs him.

• jamison-jones says:

i agree with phil. But just because you have an opinion about a subject doesn’t mean you should air it out. There are consequences for this kind of reckless behavior, especially if you don’t have money or work as an employee. ITS WHAT IT IS. unfortunately. THATS HOW THINGS WORK OUT HERE IN THE ‘REAL’ WORLD!

• mega78site says:

If A&E didn’t like Phil’s opinion then they shouldn’t had asked. Then they want to punish him for his opinion. That’s very unjust and we want Phil back. Phil you got us behind you pulling for you.

A & E didn’t ask.
      GQ, the magazine did and it didn’t fit well with A & E’s viewpoint so they put him on leave.
      Did you even read the article or are you just spouting nonsense?

• Britt says:

I think Bob should get a job and find something to do besides creep on these comments all day, just waiting to argue with someone.

• mega78site says:

Bob is trying to start a arguement with me for some reason. The point is WE WANT PHIL ROBERTSON BACK OR I’M GOING TO BLOCK A&E ALL TOGETHER. WE LOVE YOU PHIL ROBERTSON AND FAMILY.

• Bob says:

So, are we talking about Freedom of Speech or Consequence-Free Speech?
    There’s a difference between the two and one of them is real while the other is not.

• jamison-jones says:

Bob, the difference is really thin. You have to mind your circumstances or the situation you are in. I also work for a company here and i just can’t say anything just simply because i have an opinion. I don’t know how my boss my percieve my opinion about some stuff, especially social issues… i like my job but men, i stay away from certain topics around him at work till i get to the bar or barbershop….

• Bob says:

Exactly, as an employee, you are a representative of the company and anything you say or do can reflect poorly or good on your employer, even when out of the office.

• jamison-jones says:

oh, i also forgot, there is no such thing as consequence- free speech. ask the activists….someone is always going to ask you to explain yourself in the grand scheme of things. forum is important.

• mega78site says:

First of all I read the whole article and second of all its not nonsense when ur asked for a opinion. And reguardless of who asked Phil still has a right to voice is opinion. AND WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH. IS IT A CRIME NOW TO SPEAK YOUR OPINION NOW. WRONG

• Bob says:

That’s not the way it works, mega78site… By the way, what kind of name is that?
      The way it works is if you work for me and you say something that could embarrass my company and my lively hood, I will fire you.
      Yes, you had every right to say what you wanted, nobody is contesting that, but, I have every right to fire you or suspend you.
      So no, it’s not now a crime to speak your mind, as you so eloquently typed it out in all CAPS. Freedom of Speech still exists.

• Sheila says:

God commands us to love one another but he doesn’t command us to love the lost ways of others. GO PHIL…

• I agree with Phill 100% u go Phill u keep preaching what the Bible tells us is wright .. I will stand behind u…

• Cynthia J says:

He had every right to express his opinion. And the company had every right to suspend him if they felt he did not represent them in a positive light. When he decided he would use his religion as an attempt to justify his opinion, he really exposed his hypocrisy. Roman’s 2:1New Living Translation
    You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things. Matthew 7:1 judge not, that you be not judge.
    So much for him being a Christian, you can’t pick certain pieces of scripture to fit your own agenda. And ignore the parts you don’t think are as important.

• jamison-jones says:

in a nutshell, phil is entitled to his opinion. i agree with some of his comments and observations but out there, sometimes it’s not just about how you feel, you have to mind others feelings as well. if you disagree with anybody’s lifestyle, the smart thing to do is to find people who are just like you in thought, feeling and expression. I believe God is for everybody no man has the right to judge another. There is no need to scold those that are not like me so long as they don’t bother me. I have enough worries of my own to deal. Sure Phil has some of his too.

• Tammy Blevins says:

Phil I entitled to his opinion and I am so thankful he is standing on the word of GOD and after all, God does have the final say and his word says homosexuality is a sin and they will be cast into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth and will forever burn in HELL!! its real, people and he is coming again, very soon!!!