Alabama Ranks High on List of States With Worst Drivers

Posted on: 9:16 am, December 16, 2013, by

driver

Which state has the worst drivers?

New rankings by the website CarInsuranceComparison.com have Alabama in the top 10.  Our state is #5, to be exact.

USA Today reported that the website listed Louisiana in the number one spot and South Carolina and Mississippi followed respectively.

The findings were reportedly collected based on data on fatality rates per 100 million miles traveled, traffic citations, DUI infractions and tickets for speeding and careless driving.  The website collected data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Motorists Association and Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

In 2011, a ranking by GMAC Insurance found that the worst drivers in the country were in Washington, D.C.

The country’s best drivers are in Fort Collins, Colo., according to insurer Allstate’s ninth annual “America’s Best Drivers Report,” released in August.

This year’s rankings of states with the worst drivers:

1. Louisiana

2. South Carolina

3. Mississippi

4. Texas

5. Alabama

6. Florida

7. Missouri (tie)

7. North Carolina (tie)

9. Montana

10. North Dakota

Read more: USA Today

• anna franks says:

if I win buy my grand and greatgrandchildren a gift

• Steve says:

This may only show that the traffic laws are enforced better in the states at the bottom if the criteria is tickets, arrests, etc. per miles driven.

• jamison-jones says:

Right stats!!.. I mean it takes about a minute for alot of these alabama drivers to hit ‘go’ when its green!….they just turn into lanes without warning!! i mean its horendous

• Will says:

Not very accurate when you are depending on statistics relying on citations and other traffic violations. You are depending on law enforcement duties to be equal in every state and that is not very realistic at all. Start listening to good common sense drivers who are on the road a lot and who have to deal with people from other states on a daily basis. I have lived in both Georgia and Alabama for most of my life, have been a firefighter in both states responding to accidents and deaths on interstates such as I-95, and I am here to tell you that Florida by far has the worst accident creation rates and rudest drivers, and this never has been disagreed upon by anyone else I’ve talked to. And don’t get me started about Michigan, Missouri, and Virginia drivers….they are pretty close to the FL drivers. There are a couple of counties in Alabama who are as worse as FL drivers I will give you that. In Alabama we do have a VERY POOR and lazy drivers permit program when compared to most other States….I will give you that too. And once you get your license its a shame that its for life and there are no refresher tests. A Hispanic can grab a license with no problems in Alabama and their driving is the scariest of all! But for all the negatives Alabama has going for it I still feel safer around most of their drivers common sense and polite approach to others on the roads.

• Not at all shocked that ALABAMA was in top 5 of bad drivers…
    Get sick of these so called surveys that has MY state in the top…..
    I do not think this is right..Just some more up North stuff.
    My ans. is “How many people from the SOUTH retire and move North………………………………..

• Wake Up says:

Frank, how many do? I would bet that you do not know. It is the illogical thinking demonstrated by people like you that keeps the South on the worst lists for everything!

• putter says:

Mr. I know everything . WHY? cant libs be civil, always name calling , and trying to dived people . Mr. wake Up ,why did Mr .Obama ,Sign some of this college papers, Barry Soto? as someone who knows everything <please tell us, and be civil with your answer.

• Branko Pezdi says:

“The findings were reportedly collected based on data on fatality rates per 100 million miles traveled, traffic citations, DUI infractions and tickets for speeding and careless driving.”

It seems to me that the first statistical parameter (fatality rates per miles traveled) is vastly different from the latter three and should be the relevant measure of comparison. The latter three are all related to each other and are dependent on procedures in a particular state, and thus not a dependable measure for comparison purposes among the states.

The Census Bureau publishes the stats for fatality rates per 100 million miles traveled. The figures for 2009 show that the fatality rate per 100 million miles is 1.14 for the U.S. as a whole. 28 states fall above this rate, ranging from a high of 2.0 (Montana) to 1.15 (Nebraska). Massachusetts has the lowest rate at 0.61. The Top 10 are MT (2.01), LA (1.83), SC (1.82), WV (1.82), AR (1.76), MS (1.73), ND (1.72), KY (1.67), OK (1.57), AL (1.51). TX is 16th, FL is 18th, Washington DC is 47th. The stats also show that between 1990 and 2009 the fatality rates in the U.S. decreased by ONE HALF across the board. Furthermore, to place things into perspective, unlike the emotional South-hater and others on this board, the U.S. relative to the rest of the world is one of the safest places to drive with the most advanced road system in the world, and the driving risk in even the most dangerous state (MT) is at world class standards.

By the way, without knowing the exact figures, it is a safe bet to say that for the past half century at least, the migration trend in the U.S. has been from North to South. Funny isn’t it how so many stupid people insist on moving to a “worse” area! [sarcasm ON]

• Wake Up says:

Oh! Wow! [sarcasm ON]

• putter says:

Come on wake up , answer the Obama question I ask you about , tell us the answer , why he would NOT use his real name, WERE WATING, wake up!

• Wake Up says:

I have no idea what you are talking about. You are going to have to educate me on the latest conspiracy theory.

• putter says:

That’s a first wake up , we though you had all the answers. Its not a conspiracy theory , look it up your the lib expert, on this board, I will help you out , google BARRY SOTO!

• Branko Pezdi says:

What’s your problem? Never mind, we know the answer.

• Wake Up says:

Oh, that Barry Soto! I had a drink with him in Albuquerque one time. He did have an uncanny resemblance to someone I know . . .

• Noel Roe Albertville says:

alabama drivers are terrible. just to be sure drive up and down highway 431 through marshall county on any given day and if you drive it regularly like i do you would see these same idiot drivers. so many accidents everyday

• KP says:

I think we just enforce our laws better. More accurate data would include fatal accidents or even include accident info.