Puppy Farm Update: Animal Shelter Says Dogs Likely Available for Adoption Next Week

Posted on: 3:15 pm, December 12, 2013, by , updated on: 03:31pm, December 12, 2013

Photo Gallery Expand 1 of 7

TUSCUMBIA, Ala. (WHNT) – More than 120 dogs rescued from a puppy farm along Highway 72 are still being cared for at the Colbert County Animal Shelter.

Workers say the dogs are being checked by veterinarians, and could be available for adoption by next week.

The shelter posted a note on its Facebook page, saying it is overwhelmed with inquiries about the dogs, and urged people who are interested to monitor the page for updates.

The shelter says its biggest need is to find homes for the pets it already had in the shelter before the Yorkies and Pomeranians came in this week.  If you can help by adopting or fostering one of these pets, please drop by the shelter, which is located at 5010 Missouri Street in Tuscumbia.

Meanwhile, investigators returned to the home on Highway 72 where the dogs were found earlier this week.  They executed a search warrant Thursday morning and found four more dogs – two alive, and two dead.  The suspect admitted she had taken a number of dogs out of state, but refused to say where.

Investigators also found moonshine on the property.  The woman was taken into custody to be held, pending charges on Friday.

• Ray Schwarzburg says:

Please tell me what is needed to get one of these small dogs.

Sent from my iPhone

• pommom1016 says:

Anyone interested in adopting these dogs should hold tight for the moment. They are being processed through the Colbert County Animal Shelter. The ones that are pregnant will be available to reputable rescues only as they are not ready to be adopted to the public. Any newborn puppies will also be rescue only, and will go with their mother to whatever rescue can take them. Those that are not pregnant should be available for adoption, per the Colbert County Animal Shelter, in the next few weeks. In the mean time, if you have been considering adding a furry family, consider one of the many dogs in that shelter that are having to be moved to make room for these puppy mill survivors. Also, please understand that adopting a puppy mill survivor can be a huge undertaking. These dogs are usually terrified of everything. They require a lot of love and even more patience. They typically suffer from healthcare issues. For instance, I have adopted a survivor who has bad knees and no teeth. I have seen far worse, though. Please research them. If you research them, and you think that you have what it takes to adopt one of these guys, by all means, do so! If you go on Facebook and like the Colbert County Animal Shelter’s page, you will find everything I have said here as well as updates as to when they might become available. I hope this helps! Also, if anyone is interested in fostering, the shelter can put you in touch with rescues that are pulling some of the dogs once they get all of that settled!

• peggy fuller says:

I am very interested in one of the small dogs

• Charles Turner says:

I want two of the Yorkies male and female would be nice or same sex which ever works

• pommom1016 says:

Their facebook page said today that it might be a little later than originally expected. Since the lady has been arrested, the dogs are being held as evidence.

• Charles Turner says:

I will take two Yorkies

• Tammaneeka Johnson says:

I am so torn about the babies i hope they are alright i am most definetly interested in the yorkies so please tell me what i have to do to get one of them please thanks

• pommom1016 says:

• Karin says:

Poms are very smart dogs and soo soo cute. I love Yorkies too, but I favor the Poms. If I didn’t already own two dogs, I would love to have another baby. But two are all that we can manage to care for and spoil. Hope that folks will see them all… even the ones that were there before. One of my dogs is a rescued dog, and he’s a love… just a love. He’s one of the family for sure… loves kids, loves playing, and is extremely smart!! You don’t need “papers” for any dog… If you’re not going to show your dog, there’s no need for papers.

• ivyivyivy says:

Very small dogs need special care. They must wear clothing in the winter. Sometimes they need to be hand feed. Or eat cooked chicken, fish or eggs. They can never be left outside alone, they can be picked up by hawks or slide out under a fence. If it is very cold inside, they may need a heating pad. Some have food allergies and will do better on a dog food made from fish, rabbit or kangaroo meat.(Amazon) Keep household cleaners, and outdoor fertilizers away from them. My dog has had a seizure around chemicals. Overall small dogs are the best pets to have. If you are devoted to them, they will be completely devoted to you.

• stephen says:

wondering when are you guys starting to let individual adopt the puppies or small dog?

• pommom1016 says:

• Sherrie says:

I want one of the bird!

• Pam Brostean says:

What do you have that help is needed?

• I am also interested in the pregnant ones to i am a yorkie lover i have a 4 year old

• pommom1016 says:

The pregnant ones will not be adopted out the public. Those will only be released to reputable, incorporated rescues. If interested in fostering, I suggest contacting Toy Breed Rescue in Anniston. I know they are helping to coordinate some of the rescues. Maybe they can tell you who has been pulling them, and direct you where you can apply to foster, and possibly later adopt, if you want to go that route.

• I am interested in two yorkies. 2 females if possible. If not one male and one female. You can reach me on facebook at Kathy Hudgins Williams in Fayetteville TN.