122 Small Dogs Found Trapped at Puppy Farm in Colbert County

Posted on: 8:37 pm, December 10, 2013, by and , updated on: 12:44pm, December 11, 2013

Colbert County Animal Control Director Judie Nichols checks on two of the dogs found at a home on Highway 72 Tuesday. (Photo: Carter Watkins/WHNT News 19)

Colbert County Animal Control Director Judie Nichols checks on two of the dogs found outside a home on Highway 72 Tuesday. (Photo: Carter Watkins/WHNT News 19)

COLBERT COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – Police and animal control in Colbert County are investigating a possible case of animal cruelty.  The dogs, 122 Yorkies and Pomeranians, were found trapped at a puppy farm at a house near Cherokee.

The home is located at 13330 Highway 72.

Two other dogs were dead.

Colbert County Animal Control Director Judie Nichols said investigators received a tip on Tuesday that most of the dogs were outside, kept off the ground, in structures similar to rabbit hutches.  Several of the dogs had apparently never touched the ground, Nichols said.  They were exposed to the cold elements, and that was the main concern.

One investigator said conditions were so cold, some of the dogs had to be peeled away from their cage due to their fur freezing to the wire.

“They were kind of scared, but they were not in really bad shape. But, it was very cold and they were obviously cold and their water was frozen,” said Nichols.

The dogs were not necessarily malnourished, Nichols said.  Nichols said the puppies were being fed, but believes the breeder became overwhelmed with the number of dogs she had.

“If there is going to be breeding there needs to be some kind of limits, some strict limits,” said Nichols.  “No one needs 122 dogs, no one.”

“They are just used for breeding over and over and over again,” Nichols added. “And then those puppies are used for breeding a lot of times.”

Animal control officials say there were other animals at the farm on Highway 72, but they appeared to be well taken care of.

Nichols said all of the dogs are currently in the care of Colbert County Animal Control, while the District Attorney determines the status of the case or possible charges, or if the dogs can be adopted out right now.

Currently, the woman who lives in the home is not charged with anything.

If you have an information about this case you are urged to call the Colbert County Sheriff’s Office at (256) 383-0741 or the Shoals Area CrimeStoppers Tip Line at (256) 386-8685.

• mamac says:

This is sick.I don’t see how people live with their self. All for money when people treat animals like this for money then the same thing they did to the animals should happen to them..Shame, shame, shame..

• Littlebit says:

This is sick. I have a neighbor who is always asking for money to get her medicine or food, turns around and gets more dogs from the animal shelter (has a total of 9 dogs now), feeds them everyother day and has a Miniture Yorkie and Minature Dauchaund in about a 5′x5′ pen outside. I hope people like this has to answer to someone for this, if not, then they will on judgement day.

• jackie says:

Can you not report her?

• Please report her. It is to cold outside for little dogs like that. It is your responsibility to report that. Them poor little babies can’t speak for themselves.

• Nannette Hamm says:

I don’t normally post comments but this is an exception . First off for the lady who has a neighbor that has 2 “small” dogs in a 5×5 pen , Really !!, your not going to report her, Well shame on you that’s the same as being a contributor of animal cruelty. It’s bad to see wrong doing and not report it. Sorry but I do believe what I’m saying is agreeable . I’d also like to know more about adopting one of these pups. I’d like a female and wouldn’t matter which breed. As for the woman (owner) it seems obvious that if the authorities have to remove these animals from unfit habitat , then she is guilty of animal cruelty. OMG when they have to be “peeled” off the sides of their cages & “2 other dogs were dead” Sounds pretty bad. Regardless of what we all think & say it’s the animals who suffer I have a dog who is now almost 13 and was rescued from a swamp near Athens. she is a sweet little girl and still has issues from neglect. Whether I’m able to adopt one of these babies or not I hope they all get a fair chance at a “good” forever home.

• Karen Lewis says:

I hope you have reported her??

• Fleurette Washington says:

Please report this person to animal control. She is abusing these poor animals. You can remain anonymous.

• Michele Truell says:

Just wanted to say it sounds like your neighbor is a hoarder in the making. The situation you described is cruel. You should or a rescue group should try to intervene.

• joe dixon says:

i know these dogs are pretty and peoople brag about having them , but i got a half lab – half huskey from the pound and she beautiful ,, and rather be loved on than eat , people need quit buying these dogs for a while and put these type people out of business ,

• Melissa says:

I would be interested in adopting one of the Pomeranians. Must be neutered of course. I have a couple chihuahuas that would love a new friend! Call if I can adopt. 256-425-1432
    Melissa

• pommom1016 says:

I also believe they neuter before any dog leaves the building. :)

• Kelly McNutt says:

I would love to adopt one of them.

• pommom1016 says:

Anyone interested in adopting these dogs should hold tight for the moment. They are being processed through the Colbert County Animal Shelter. The ones that are pregnant will be available to reputable rescues only as they are not ready to be adopted to the public. Any newborn puppies will also be rescue only, and will go with their mother to whatever rescue can take them. Those that are not pregnant should be available for adoption, per the Colbert County Animal Shelter, in the next few weeks. In the mean time, if you have been considering adding a furry family, consider one of the many dogs in that shelter that are having to be moved to make room for these puppy mill survivors. Also, please understand that adopting a puppy mill survivor can be a huge undertaking. These dogs are usually terrified of everything. They require a lot of love and even more patience. They typically suffer from healthcare issues. For instance, I have adopted a survivor who has bad knees and no teeth. I have seen far worse, though. Please research them. If you research them, and you think that you have what it takes to adopt one of these guys, by all means, do so! If you go on Facebook and like the Colbert County Animal Shelter’s page, you will find everything I have said here as well as updates as to when they might become available. I hope this helps! Also, if anyone is interested in fostering, the shelter can put you in touch with rescues that are pulling some of the dogs once they get all of that settled!

• Tamara McKinney says:

I would love to adopt one of the Yorkies for my daughter. Pls e-mail if that’s possible. Thanks

• mamac says:

I have bought dogs from breeders before and I will NEVER again. They are bunches and bunches and bunches of dogs (animals) in shelters in small pens locked up and can’t run and play and like labs love to get in water.But they never have the chance to. But people like this that does this to animals they get slapped on the wrist and turned out again so they can keep doing it. I know we have to many laws tell us what to do some are STUPID and I don’t agree with, but we should have a animal law stating a certain amount of animals per house hold except for farming and I know some people can find loop holes but make it clear cut. If you own a “WORKING” farm with cattle cattle dogs and other animals then ok. But these puppy mills are going to have to come to a STOP. Save the animals at the shelters…My brother has a jack russell / winnie dog mix and he is smart as can be and he loves my brother and his son waits for them by the door and moans when they are gone like he lost his best friend. And he can play hide and seek yes, hide and seek..And he came from the pound..But I hope these animals get the love they deserve….Thank you to everyone who was involved in saving these animals…

• Justin says:

Would like to abopt a pom. Email me if this is possible.

• cindy hall says:

Id love to adopt a York is if you find out info

• pommom1016 says:

• Would love to help. Wonder what happened to the lady that had them. She could have gotten very ill and was unable to care for herself. I have seen this happen too many times with very tragic endings. Praying for all! God Bless for people wanting to help!!!

• divadog says:

No Mary there is no excuse for this!

• Lindsay C. says:

Health failing might be an excuse if it were only a few and she was trying to either give them away to better homes or having somebody come over and help her care for them… but 122???? Not to be rude, but there’s no excuse whatsoever for that.

• Vickie Dickerson says:

Please let me know if these puppies need homes… I would love to offer one a loving home… 2566062596.

• jamison-jones says:

Look here, why are ya’ll tripping about animals???? we have humans the world over that are suffering tremendously and all you care about is dogs!!. what a shame to the human race!!! thats just me anyway! live them animals to their natural habitats. period.

• divadog says:

Not Charged with anything??????? Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!! Please help these poor baby animals!!! People whom commit Animal Cruelty should be punished!!!!!!!!!!! Not just a slap on the hand! They should not let her touch the ground for a couple years

• jamison-jones says:

this impassioned discussion about dogs is just outright Ridiculous!!

WE HAVE HUMANS WHO HURT SO BAD!!

• DM says:

You cannot be serious, jamison-jones. You sound like an absolute moron. Because someone is concerned with the well being of creatures that are suffering on this woman’s behalf, you go on a rant how nobody cares about humans? You ask what planet we are on, but what planet on /you/ on? I think the point took a flying leap over your head.

• How about Fostering too. Lots of babies are in the shelters that need homes and fostering too. I rescued one mini Rat Terrier that was 6 months old she never touched the ground and had never been out of a cage with 4 other dogs. It took her a year to not bite my hubby anymore and several months to realize she could go more than a foot away from me. So sad…

• kay says:

I would like to adopt one

• dw says:

I agree that there are humans out there that need help….but these animals didn’t choose to be born.

• Donna Dowdell says:

The righteous care for the needs of their animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel. Proverbs 12:10

Hope you follow this all the way and keep it in the press so this person or these people are brought to court and justice is served.

• Alyssa Moon says:

We live near this area. Our Yorkie was stolen over a year ago. We would love to come look at the dogs, just to see if by chance he would be there.

• Cara says:

Please email me if these dogs are able to adopted.

• jamison-jones says:

just euthanize them!!… Look, go to africa and rescue all the baboons, hyenas and racoons as well!! Leave them animals in their natural habitats. they know how to survive in their domains!!…

• jamison-jones says:

they have their own NATURAL SELECTION procedures and they don’t need our help

• Jill Dodd says:

This woman needs to be charged!!! This is animal cruelty! These animals need a voice. Justice needs to be served!!

• jamison-jones says:

justice, animals….people which planet do you live on? so whats the defense and prosecution? i know animal cruelty laws exist but gimme a BREAK!!..get a life people

• Bianca Closhen says:

Oh wow, Jamison-jones, you are pretty hard. Why are you so upset about this? We help and love animals and you just go and help humans. Everybody their passion! Are you mad because you need help and nobody helps you and we worry about the babies? Well, life is hard sometimes.

• Anance0122 says:

i can not believe all of the negative comments i’m seeing about animal rights activists. that’s just pitiful. At least when we see harm done to a living creature we do something, when you probably would not, even if it were a human.
    These animals breathe, walk, eat just as you do. i volunteer at our shelter and don’t tell me that dogs don’t have feelings. i hope that you are neglected as an old man/woman and are treated like “an animal”

• jamison-jones says:

bianca…the reason why Obama scrapped the space program was because we were wasting resources on something that was apparently ‘useless’.. we needed the money ‘down’ here for human consumption!! i’m alright, don’t need any help…its just that our priorities as humans are sorely misplaced!! they are DOGS!!..U KNOW

• BamaBrie says:

Trying to divert this comment thread to the needs of humans is a deflection. This woman was violating the law and should be charged. How we treat animals and how we treat each other are behaviors which are inherently linked together. Do not feed the trolls. If you want to help these dogs, contact Judie Nichols at Colbert County Animal Control. If you want to express your opinion about prosecution on this case, contact the DA’s office. There are instances when situations like this are the result of mental illness when people hoard or collect animals. This sounds very much like a milling operation and the owner should no doubt be prosecuted.

• Jamison-Jones apparently you are the only person who has this warped view on animals!!!! So why do you bother to get in on a conversation that is all about people loving animals and especially animals that are being abused or malnourished!!! Find somewhere else to vent, people on this site don’t care to hear it !!!

• akelley1247 says:

And why weren’t these useless, sorry excuses for humanity not charged? Why do we pay tax dollars for so called law enforcement and courts that let these murders and abusers roam free???

• akelley1247 says:

If everyone would adopt instead of buying from puppy mills, soleless people wouldn’t make money off them and would stop.

• heather says:

i know this woman and health was def not an issue. she also has horses, mules, chickens, turkeys and peacocks.

• mike says:

I HOPE THEY PROSECUTE HER AND TAKE EVERYTHING SHES GOT TO PAY FOR THE DOGS MEDS AND ANYTHING ELSE THEY NEED NOT TO MENTION THE VET BILL.

• sami conrad says:

Is there a way to ship any of the dogs? I wasn’t looking for a dog but I will take one and love it with all my heart. I have two disabled parents who could use a companion and a five year old son who would adore a dog. We are in Ohio. Please someone respond and let me know.

• pommom1016 says:

As far as shipping, I don’t know any shelters/reputable rescues that will ship. However, when these guys become available, they might be able to help you find a group willing to transport the dog to you. Hope this helps!

• Victoria Haff says:

I would love to give one a home..

• dana fountain says:

would love to have a new furbaby friend for my lil chiuaua he’s kinda lonely

• Amanda Newby says:

We would like 4 of the yorkies I can’t blive people would do animals that way

• Ebony says:

Can the dogs be adopted and if so when? I would love to bring one home woth me.. it hurts me to see what ppl do to these animals.

• Ebony says:

If and when can the dogs be adopted.

• jamison-jones says:

I LOVE ANIMALS…….its just that they are more pressing issues the world over than to worry about little, screwy dogs!!. and yes, i also think think that if you can’t afford them, leave ‘em alone or better still, leave these animals in their natual habitats!!..why on earth does someone have to own a python in a home?? why does someone have to take a picture next to a lion?? why does someone have to swim with a shark?…i mean, thats just me.

• Carolyn Cunningham says:

Unfortunately, until Alabama brings updates its animal welfare laws for the 21st century, this type of incident will continue.

• Lori Kirkland says:

jamison-jones, YOU love animals but yet you say leave these animals in their natural habitat? These animals could not fend for themselves in the “wild”. From your posts I figure you think it is ok to just DROP off an animal that has been fed and loved by Humans and it will survive just fine. Thats not going to happen, they are going to die a slow suffering death from no food or water and the fact that they have just been tossed aside. I do agree that there are many Humans that are suffering but they have a voice to tell anyone that will listen that they need help. These ‘little screwy dogs’ as you call them didn’t ask to be put into this situation no more than babies that are born to people who cannot take care of them.

• Trudy Miller says:

my pom was Stolen in 2010 and was microchipped~would LOVE to get him back, although hate to think of him suffering in those horrid conditions~and, that moran Jamison~jones who posted comments yesterday about dogs>>are you from MARS or what the hell??? AND I bet your neighbors(if any) HATE you!!

• jamison-jones says:

no animals in my house!! …

• jamison-jones says:

u bring a dog or cat, u keep it outside

• I would be very interested in adopting one of these precious dogs plz let me know as soon as you find out something my # 256-975-6106 thank u Taylor duke Dodson <3

• pommom1016 says:

Taylor, I recommend going the the Colbert County Animal Shelter Facebook page. They said they will post updates there as the dogs become available

• CJ says:

Hope and pray these babies will be spayed and neutered and people are really wanting to adopt them to love and take care of them. They have been in terrible conditions and need lots of TLC. Hope people are not wanting them just to breed like this lady did. That is what started this whole problem to begin with!!!

• pommom1016 says:

What I have read said that the $75 adoption fee covers a spay/neuter. Now, I don’t know if they do that before they leave the building or if they make you leave some form of a deposit. I am not sure how they do it.

• p says:

I completely understand the reason everyone is so upset. I just wonder if all the people that are having all feelings of hate and anger toward this woman have the same feelings toward a farmers when they have a steak. If the sale barn in lauderdale county opens at 7am on monday. Maybe everyone should take a field trip and you can see the part of life that people likes to close there eyes to. Afterwards we can all stop at McDonald’s for the second part of the trip and have a taste burger.

• The last I looked………..we don’t eat dogs………..or cats….you vegans are a trip…….I do not condone animals being tortured, including farm animals……you can NOT live on veggies only…..you need the protein and those shakes aren’t going to do it….humans are meat eaters…..I dislike Mcdonalds, but I do love my steak, eggs, ham, and chicken………..along with my veggies, starches, etc…………SMFH

• p says:

Sorry rose but im far from a vegan. I had a nice steak from texas roadhouse tonight. I am and always will be carnivorous.i just think how pathetic people are, not just the lady being charged but the people ready to hang another human. I understand what she was doing wasnt kind . Whats amazing to me is all these people that want to beat there war drums about this but have np idea whats going on around them. Just curious about something do you think that a cow being beaten till it gets on a truck or chicken getting thrown into a cage or the use of electric prods or how about the castration of bulls with no anesthetic? (Which is also done to pigs) so you think about how these drum beaters would react if it was being done to dogs. One more thing do you think it hurts one animal more than the other? Or like I said before thats what people dont want to know. How sad that people like to stick there head in a hole and not face reality, instead we can all take another pill that was prescribed for us and go back to or perfect little world.

• precious says:

I hope that these people that were busted are the same ones that sell puppy mill dogs at the corner of 72 west and county line road. He is there almost every weekend and needs to be shut down, I made the mistake of buying a shihtzu from him 3 years ago and the poor thing couldnt walk on solid ground but was perfectly at ease in a cage. She was timid and had no bladder control (had to wear a diaper) and full of worms.We tried everything to socialize her. She eventually passed from parvo.

• pommom1016 says:

All the dogs that were seized were yorkies or Poms. Unless she stopped breeding Shih Tzus, this probably isn’t her since none were found