New Details: Shooting Suspect Surrenders to DeKalb County Sheriff
DEKALB COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – Thursday, DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris arrested the man accused in a shooting earlier this week in the Dawson community.
Sheriff Harris said he got a tip last night that Townsend was returning to DeKalb County and wanted to tell his side of the story to the Sheriff. The text said if the Sheriff came alone, Townsend would turn himself in.
“I told them I would be there when they called,” Sheriff Harris said.
Sheriff Harris pulled up at the residence in Dawson and advised Townsend to come out. He did, and surrendered peacefully.
“You know that there is always two sides of the story and Townsend wanted to tell his side,” said Sheriff Harris. “We put a lot of man power into locating Townsend and we are glad he turned himself in. We are also glad that the victim Bobby Harper is doing ok.”
Deputies say Townsend is charged with attempted murder.
Investigators say Townsend shot Bobby Harper in the neck with a deer rifle Tuesday while Harper was inside a vehicle.
Harper was taken to Huntsville Hospital.
DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris says Harper told deputies the fight was over a woman both men had dated.
Deputies say that woman was since arrested in Jackson County on drug-related charges.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart
- Interview for the World's Toughest Job - and Billions are Already Doing it