Featured Job: Attorney III
This is advanced professional legal work in providing counsel and legal services for the City.
Responsible for performing a wide variety of professional legal duties, including provision of legal services for all departments of the City, preparation of cases for trial and the drafting of resolutions and documents.
Employees in this class must be sufficiently qualified to try cases of considerable difficulty and manage and resolve complex legal problems of considerable difficulty and scale. Work is performed under general supervision in accordance with established policies.
Performs difficult legal research and prepares important legal documents for City departments, boards, and agencies. Prepares or reviews all types of municipal ordinances, resolutions, contracts, deeds, and other legal documents.
Investigates serious claims and complaints by or against the City; recommends action.
Evaluates complex legal problems; negotiates and advises in the development of long-term solutions. Prepares difficult cases for trial; serves as a trial lawyer for the City in State and Federal Courts with respect to ordinance violations, claims and damage suits, and other matters. Serves as counsel for departments in Administrative hearings.
Consults with members of the Alabama Bar and with the general public on a variety of legal matters. Responds to inquiries and makes presentations on legal topics. Requires regular and prompt attendance plus the ability to work well with others and work well as a team.
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and considerable experience in the practice of law.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal, state, federal, and common law, and of constitutional law affecting City government.
- Considerable knowledge of judicial procedures and rules of evidence.
- Considerable knowledge of City ordinances and charter provisions particularly relating to the authority and functions of City departments, boards, and agencies.
- Considerable knowledge of established precedents and sources of legal reference applicable to City activities.
- Ability to prepare and try complex civil or criminal law cases before City, County, State, and Federal Courts.
- Ability to analyze and prepare a wide variety of legal documents.
- Ability to conduct research on complex legal problems.
- Skilled in oral and written communications.
- Skilled in the operation and care of a personal computer.
- Three to five years of litigation experience preferred.
Click here for more information or to apply for this job.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart
- Interview for the World's Toughest Job - and Billions are Already Doing it